ssis output to flat file limit size/number of rows

• Hi All,

I'm pretty new to ssis so hoping i can get some suggestions and/or examples on this. I'm using flat file destination task to export data from a sql server table to a text file. I need to limit the output file size to 96mb. I cannot find a way to limit the size in the advanced editor of the flat file destination task. Is there a way to do this within ssis? are there any examples on how to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

• I'm not aware of such setting. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/integration-services/data-flow/flat-file-custom-properties?view=sql-server-ver15

I guess it is usually handled at the input side / codesnippet to make sure you don't go over 96mb of data

• I'm using flat file destination task to export data from a sql server

• I also think you'll have to do the limiting of the output data size at the source, i.e. use a SELECT TOP(calculatedNumberOfRows) * FROM yourTable. The number of rows that correspond to your output file limit will probably have to be determined by some sort of calculation or simply trial-and-error testing.

The alternative to TOP is the more powerful  OFFSET-FETCH filter

Using this could allow you to "page" through your input table.

• A different approach that may be possible is to feed you table source into a Destination Script Component. In this you can define more than one downstream named output destinations. This should also allow you to do some row-based calculations of the aggregate output size.

Based on the calculated aggregate data size, you can then switch between the downstream output definitions.

This is theory of course. I haven't tried it out. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  kaj.
  • Thanks much for the suggestions i appreciate it. I will be trying to research more on the offset fetch function.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply