T-Sql rant

• OMG! Seriously droll, dude.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• This page intentionally left blank.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• My apologies to everyone for that last post. It was intended for another thread and somehow wound up here. Now I can't delete it.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• RBarryYoung (3/16/2009)

Gaby Abed (3/16/2009)

Bob Hovious (3/16/2009)

All hail The Thread... Eternal is The Thread... Great is The Thread... Mighty Mighty is The Thread.

Let us make great sacrifice of cursors and recursive CTEs....

"In the beginning was the THREAD.

The THREAD was without form and light.

And lo, St. Michael did ask his question,

and the THREAD was born.

"It is destined to grow forever,

Having so many devotees paying homage

To it's sheer magnaminity,

And fed with the blood of those who dare

Question without thought."

Nice, Gaby. Is that from Paradise Lost?

Very freeform amalgamation of weird scripture/pseudo scripture. LOL, I'll move this over to the THREAD if I write anything more like this. Apologies to all.

Gaby

• Gaby Abed (3/16/2009)

Bob Hovious (3/16/2009)

All hail The Thread... Eternal is The Thread... Great is The Thread... Mighty Mighty is The Thread.

Let us make great sacrifice of cursors and recursive CTEs....

"In the beginning was the THREAD.

The THREAD was without form and light.

And lo, St. Michael did ask his question,

and the THREAD was born.

"It is destined to grow forever,

Having so many devotees paying homage

To it's sheer magnaminity,

And fed with the blood of those who dare

Question without thought."

I'm crying from laughing so hard. Awesome! Getting some weird looks from co-workers, too.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Heck, move it over there now. Why should everyone else miss out?

• Bob Hovious (3/16/2009)

Heck, move it over there now. Why should everyone else miss out?

I just did!

• Did you notice, foxjazz didn't have to say anything within the last 70 (or so) posts? So he missed about 50% of the replies.

Maybe he's not interested anymore.

Or he finally decided to learn more about T-SQL and currently is reading some books - this would actually be the best result this thread could lead to, I think.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (3/16/2009)

Did you notice, foxjazz didn't have to say anything within the last 70 (or so) posts? So he missed about 50% of the replies.

Or he finally decided to learn more about T-SQL and currently is reading some books - this would actually be the best result this thread could lead to, I think.

Or maybe he got the solution he was looking for. 😉

-Roy

• Or he is just sitting back in his local pub drinking a pint 'o ale, laughing at us as we continue to "rant" against his "rant". He hasn't logged on the SSC for almost 48 hours now.

I have figured out that he may be a Brit, or at least someone in that particular time zone.

• Roy Ernest (3/16/2009)

lmu92 (3/16/2009)

Did you notice, foxjazz didn't have to say anything within the last 70 (or so) posts? So he missed about 50% of the replies.

Or maybe he got the solution he was looking for. 😉

Actually, I am pretty sure that he has been using another identity for the last two days.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Bruce Wayne?

• Gift Peddie (3/15/2009)

Science is a b****, expediency is a w*****. It's not easy to sleep with science. But sql sells itself to even the lowest bidder. It's been screwing developers forever But sql experts know of what they speak. There is a certain quality to expediency. The seduction by the **** makes the **** easy to forget.

Vulgar crass and tasteless. I am a woman and I find your post very offensive.

There you'll find the relational model wedded to the idea of an object oriented language. There's no mismatch here. A table is simply another type. A relational algebra is embedded in a imperative language that is OO.

That is very wrong because all the object databases failed because they decided to skip the algebra, the words of Oracle's Jim Melton not mine. I have seen many developers trying to move to 64bits in most cases their application is missing DAL and relational model.

Rather than engage you in a full blown dialogue of just why you found the paragraph so objectionable you have my regret that I misjudged the maturity level of some readers here. I assume you were offended by my choice of metaphor(s). But I hasten to add that while your sensibilities went tilt you mentioned nothing about the point it was intended to make. I acknowledge that for some how you make a point, really how antiseptic (PC) you can be, is more important that the point itself. In any event, perhaps you'll entertain the idea that discretion has its own rewards. If you can see fit to ignore me I will see fit not to worry about offending you (and you and you too). And that way both of us can prevent the moderator, a mature fellow IMHO, from finding himself in a very awkward position. While my sympathies do not really lie with the devil, nor do they gravitate to snow white and the several dwarfs. Style counts. A mature style counts even more.

If you're still with me let me clarify that Dataphor is not an OO database like Hibernate of even Linq/Entity framework. We're talking apples and oranges here. The relational algebra (ie. all algebra and relational operators) exist within an imperative framework, here a table exists as a type (just like an integer). There is no failure here as relations (and their declarative manipulation) live within the framework, my words not his.

To see for yourself visit my blog (for explanations and examples) or check out the system documentation (chm file):

http://www.geocities.com/d4tosql/D4/Dataphor.zip

Better yet I invite you to download the entire system and get a feel for what its like to develop with a truly relational system:

http://databaseconsultinggroup.com/downloads/[/url]

(get version 2711)

Think of Dataphor as the gift that keeps on giving.

www.beyondsql.blogspot.com

• Science is a b****, expediency is a w*****.

You call the language above a mark of maturity? Crass doesn't equal cool, and foul language isn't a sign of style, strength, nor intelligence. You can't teach most of us anything about foul language, but some of us outgrew it a while back. What you belittle as PC, some call professionalism, manners, or class. Your sense of style is a sad little thing.

You make a mockery of your "apology" by thinly veiled contempt for the people who disapproved of your comments. Fortunately, you count for next to nothing in our lives, so your contempt fails to sting. 😉

Why did you choose to lead with that? It didn't add anything to whatever rational argument you were trying to add to the discussion. Do you think it will make your spam tastier? Taking your advice, it seems the best course is to ignore you and the spam both.

• steve dassin (3/16/2009)

[

To see for yourself visit my blog (for explanations and examples) or check out the system documentation (chm file):

http://www.geocities.com/d4tosql/D4/Dataphor.zip

Better yet I invite you to download the entire system and get a feel for what its like to develop with a truly relational system:

http://databaseconsultinggroup.com/downloads/[/url]

(get version 2711)

Think of Dataphor as the gift that keeps on giving.

www.beyondsql.blogspot.com

You know, if you want to advertise, you really should be paying SSC for the opportunity. And for the record I believe that to be true for any poster, not just you.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 465 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply