T-Sql rant

• I am not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I won't be hurt if Steve closed this thread.

• Lynn Pettis (3/16/2009)

steve dassin (3/16/2009)

[

To see for yourself visit my blog (for explanations and examples) or check out the system documentation (chm file):

http://www.geocities.com/d4tosql/D4/Dataphor.zip

Better yet I invite you to download the entire system and get a feel for what its like to develop with a truly relational system:

http://databaseconsultinggroup.com/downloads/[/url]

(get version 2711)

Think of Dataphor as the gift that keeps on giving.

www.beyondsql.blogspot.com

You know, if you want to advertise, you really should be paying SSC for the opportunity. And for the record I believe that to be true for any poster, not just you.

It's open source software! It's free to cops as well as civilians.

• steve dassin (3/16/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/16/2009)

steve dassin (3/16/2009)

[

To see for yourself visit my blog (for explanations and examples) or check out the system documentation (chm file):

Better yet I invite you to download the entire system and get a feel for what its like to develop with a truly relational system:

(get version 2711)

You know, if you want to advertise, you really should be paying SSC for the opportunity. And for the record I believe that to be true for any poster, not just you.

It's open source software! It's free to cops as well as civilians.

When you keep pushing the product, it's still advertising.

This is a Microsoft SQL Server site, and the majority of us use SQL Server exclusively, where others may work in shops with other competing products as well as SQL Server.

So, let's keep this to SQL Server as much as we can. You have a link in your signature block that points to your blog where all you talk about is that "other product" and how much better it is than SQL Server. Great, whatever floats your boat (which is usually water).

• Guiness is better. Perhaps some day we'll have opportunity to knock back a pint or two, Lynn. First round is on me.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (3/16/2009)

Guiness is better. Perhaps some day we'll have opportunity to knock back a pint or two, Lynn. First round is on me.

You'll shoot me for this, but I was stationed in England for 2.5 years and never really tried any of the local beverages. Just wasn't much for drinking, still not.

But, I'll take you up on the offer if the opportunity presents itself!

• I'm in the states, and the choice of beverage is secondary to the opportunity for a good conversation. Do you do caffeine?

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• [font="Verdana"]...and thus was born the son of thread. Oh, wait: we need three wise people. Who is up for a camel ride?[/font]

• Whatever rant it's started from it ends up in a pub...

:Whistling:

Gift Peddie (3/15/2009)

Science is a b****, expediency is a w*****. It's not easy to sleep with science. But sql sells itself to even the lowest bidder. It's been screwing developers forever But sql experts know of what they speak. There is a certain quality to expediency. The seduction by the **** makes the **** easy to forget.

Vulgar crass and tasteless. I am a woman and I find your post very offensive.

There you'll find the relational model wedded to the idea of an object oriented language. There's no mismatch here. A table is simply another type. A relational algebra is embedded in a imperative language that is OO.

That is very wrong because all the object databases failed because they decided to skip the algebra, the words of Oracle's Jim Melton not mine. I have seen many developers trying to move to 64bits in most cases their application is missing DAL and relational model.

Rather than engage you in a full blown dialogue of just why you found the paragraph so objectionable you have my regret that I misjudged the maturity level of some readers here. I assume you were offended by my choice of metaphor(s). But I hasten to add that while your sensibilities went tilt you mentioned nothing about the point it was intended to make. I acknowledge that for some how you make a point, really how antiseptic (PC) you can be, is more important that the point itself. In any event, perhaps you'll entertain the idea that discretion has its own rewards. If you can see fit to ignore me I will see fit not to worry about offending you (and you and you too). And that way both of us can prevent the moderator, a mature fellow IMHO, from finding himself in a very awkward position. While my sympathies do not really lie with the devil, nor do they gravitate to snow white and the several dwarfs. Style counts. A mature style counts even more.

If you're still with me let me clarify that Dataphor is not an OO database like Hibernate of even Linq/Entity framework. We're talking apples and oranges here. The relational algebra (ie. all algebra and relational operators) exist within an imperative framework, here a table exists as a type (just like an integer). There is no failure here as relations (and their declarative manipulation) live within the framework, my words not his.

(get version 2711)

I read through a good bit of your blog the other day, and I have to say that the one question it didn't seem to answer was what it could actually do for me that I canโ€™t do now.

It seemed like the only thing it actually gave you was the ability to say you were not using SQL. Even that is a stretch, since if my understanding of the somewhat sketchy descriptions of the architecture is correct, it is actually layered on top of SQL.

It looks like the other readers of your blog (if there are any) were equally underwhelmed, since virtually none of the blog entries had comments.

• That's the best thing about rants, Sergiy ๐Ÿ˜€

Now I personally have no intention of visiting the aforementioned blog. But, according to Wikipedia...

Dataphor was originally created as a commercial product by blah blah blah with a 1.0 release in 2001.

In early 2008, the blah name and the Dataphor product were acquired blah blah blah.

After the acquisition, Dataphor was re-licensed as open source under the BSD license.

To be blunt, it sounds like another orphaned commercial failure that has gone open-source in hopes of finding someone to love it. It may have some technical merit, but I will never know. No company I've worked for is going to waste time or money on investigating it. SQL is well documented, proven to support huge volumes, and well supported, both by Microsoft and by people such as yourselves.

STDs are also gifts that keep on giving.

• Bob Hovious (3/16/2009)

I'm in the states, and the choice of beverage is secondary to the opportunity for a good conversation. Do you do caffeine?

Soda, not coffee.

• Lynn Pettis (3/16/2009)

Bob Hovious (3/16/2009)

I'm in the states, and the choice of beverage is secondary to the opportunity for a good conversation. Do you do caffeine?

Soda, not coffee.

Well, this time instead of asking (like I did with Bruce), I checked your profile and I have no idea where you call home. So, where do you call home?

• Bruce W Cassidy (3/16/2009)

[font="Verdana"]...and thus was born the son of thread. Oh, wait: we need three wise people. Who is up for a camel ride?[/font]

I don't ride no camels!

Oh Bruce, care to here about the soccer game I officiated today?

• You know what? We should move this conversation back to THE THREAD before we actually do have THE SON OF THREAD going. Care to join me?

you have my regret that I misjudged the maturity level of some readers here.

Man... get over yourself... I used to respect your maturity until you started using cheap romance novel level vulgarity to try to make your point instead.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 465 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply