Talking baseball

• Glad I got a channel now to watch it, missed it for ages.

Watched a replay of the 5 hour marathon of the Red Sox / Astros game.

Thrilling game could not take my eyes off the game in case missed something.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Ray K (4/25/2016)

Not to mention (that same night) Jacoby Ellsbury's straight steal of home!

Pinstripes or not, love the steal of home. Probably one of my favorite plays in baseball. So bold, so in-your-face, so daring! Good stuff.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (4/26/2016)

Ray K (4/25/2016)

Not to mention (that same night) Jacoby Ellsbury's straight steal of home!

Pinstripes or not, love the steal of home. Probably one of my favorite plays in baseball. So bold, so in-your-face, so daring! Good stuff.

ESPN SportsCenter, when they showed that play, did a flashback to when he was playing for your Red Sox, and stole home against my Yanks! 🙂

I was just thinking about Jackie Robinson's steal of home in (I think it was) the '55 World Series. Right up to his death, Yogi Berra insisted he was out! 🙂

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Sheesh! Yankees finally won one last night!

Not that I expect any sympathy from all my Yankee-hater friends! 😉

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• This feels good for a change...

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• I can well imagine!

Just heed the warning of history! It's only May. Bigger collapses have happened in only a short period of time! See 1951 Brooklyn Dodgers, 1978 Boston Red Sox, 1995 California Angels, etc.!

• Ray K (5/5/2016)

I can well imagine!

Just heed the warning of history! It's only May. Bigger collapses have happened in only a short period of time! See 1951 Brooklyn Dodgers, 1978 Boston Red Sox, 1995 California Angels, etc.!

Hell, you don't even have to look outside of the Cubs organization for examples of that. See 1969, 1984. I say that as a Cubs fan, but I think others can agree with me, this team just feels different than those of yesteryears.

• roryp 96873 (5/5/2016)

Ray K (5/5/2016)

I can well imagine!

Hell, you don't even have to look outside of the Cubs organization for examples of that. See 1969, 1984. I say that as a Cubs fan, but I think others can agree with me, this team just feels different than those of yesteryears.

I know what you mean. I remember telling friends in 2004, "if the Red Sox can't win it this year, they can't win."

(Side note: one of the people I said that to was my wife -- who is a Red Sox fan. Yeah, a Red Sox fan married to a Yankee fan. Talk about a mixed marriage!)

• roryp 96873 (5/5/2016)

Ray K (5/5/2016)

I can well imagine!

And 2003 with the infamous "Bartman ball". Being a Cubs fan is as painful as it gets but it will be worth it if they even get to the World Series in my lifetime (let alone win).

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• The 2004 ALCS must have been one for the record books in your house... You gotta admit, it was a pretty good series - the WS after that was positively an anticlimax.

• pietlinden (5/5/2016)

The 2004 ALCS must have been one for the record books in your house... You gotta admit, it was a pretty good series - the WS after that was positively an anticlimax.

Yeah -- not only did my wife give me grief after Game 7, I got a phone call (at exactly midnight) from one of my best friends from high school (also a Red Sox fan) to rub it in!

• Alan.B (5/5/2016)

And 2003 with the infamous "Bartman ball". Being a Cubs fan is as painful as it gets but it will be worth it if they even get to the World Series in my lifetime (let alone win).

Aww man! Poor guy. I have a soft spot in my heart for individuals that bear the burden of blame for a club failing to achieve greatness.

Game 6 (Cubs lead the series 3-2) 3-0 Cubs top of the 8th, man on second with 1 out. Instead of 2 outs with a man on second, the home run made it 3-2 Cubs. Even if the ball was caught, there would have been 2 outs with a man on third. You see, the Cubs ended up imploding and blowing that game 8-3! Okay, blame Bartman for 2 runs, who do you blame for the other 6? Who gets the blame for losing the next game, game 7, of the series?

Same way with Buckner, his one blunder in 1986 did not cause the Red Sox to lose that series, that was only game 6! There was a whole host of poor pitching that surrounded "the incident" that is quickly forgotten.

Baseball being a statistics game, you can't pinpoint any one occurrence of an event as the sole reason for a loss. Similarly, you can't pinpoint any single occurrence of an event as the cause for a win (don't get me started on "clutch"). An accumulation of events by all players determines the outcome of a game.

P.S. So glad the Sox didn't get swept by the Yanks

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Anyone going to SQL Saturday in Rochester this Saturday? Would love to talk baseball with some of you guys in person!

I'm doing two presentations; I'll even wear my Yankees jersey while I give them! :hehe:

• calvo (5/9/2016)

Alan.B (5/5/2016)

Aww man! Poor guy. I have a soft spot in my heart for individuals that bear the burden of blame for a club failing to achieve greatness.

Game 6 (Cubs lead the series 3-2) 3-0 Cubs top of the 8th, man on second with 1 out. Instead of 2 outs with a man on second, the home run made it 3-2 Cubs. Even if the ball was caught, there would have been 2 outs with a man on third. You see, the Cubs ended up imploding and blowing that game 8-3[/b]! Okay, blame Bartman for 2 runs, who do you blame for the other 6? Who gets the blame for losing the next game, game 7, of the series?

Same way with Buckner, his one blunder in 1986 did not cause the Red Sox to lose that series, that was only game 6! There was a whole host of poor pitching that surrounded "the incident" that is quickly forgotten.

Baseball being a statistics game, you can't pinpoint any one occurrence of an event as the sole reason for a loss. Similarly, you can't pinpoint any single occurrence of an event as the cause for a win (don't get me started on "clutch"). An accumulation of events by all players determines the outcome of a game.

Yep. And that's the story, the Cubs imploded. I mention Bartman because that's what people remember but I feel bad for him - he was a hard-core cubs fan who unfairly got a bunch of negative attention. I blame Dusty Baker - he was not a good coach and was acting like the Cubs lost the whole series after that game. I remember after Florida saying that the Marlins have to come to Chicago and face Prior and Wood IN CHICAGO, we only had to win one of those games. And in typical cubs fashion they blew it.

We're the best team in baseball right now, even with Kyle Schwarber out for the season. My calendar still says May on it but I do feel hopeful. As matter of fact, right now the Cubs are the best team in the National league and the White Sox are the best in the American league. I'm not a Sox fan but it feels good nonetheless.

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (5/10/2016)

calvo (5/9/2016)

Alan.B (5/5/2016)

Game 6 (Cubs lead the series 3-2) 3-0 Cubs top of the 8th, man on second with 1 out. Instead of 2 outs with a man on second, the home run made it 3-2 Cubs. Even if the ball was caught, there would have been 2 outs with a man on third. You see, the Cubs ended up imploding and blowing that game 8-3[/b]! Okay, blame Bartman for 2 runs, who do you blame for the other 6? Who gets the blame for losing the next game, game 7, of the series?

Yep. And that's the story, the Cubs imploded. I mention Bartman because that's what people remember but I feel bad for him - he was a hard-core cubs fan who unfairly got a bunch of negative attention. I blame Dusty Baker - he was not a good coach and was acting like the Cubs lost the whole series after that game. I remember after Florida saying that the Marlins have to come to Chicago and face Prior and Wood IN CHICAGO, we only had to win one of those games. And in typical cubs fashion they blew it.

We're the best team in baseball right now, even with Kyle Schwarber out for the season. My calendar still says May on it but I do feel hopeful. As matter of fact, right now the Cubs are the best team in the National league and the White Sox are the best in the American league. I'm not a Sox fan but it feels good nonetheless.

And everyone seems to forget that Alex Gonzalez booted what appeared to be a pretty routine ground ball that could have been an inning ending double play after Alou didn't catch the foul pop up. He fields that and turns it, no one ever knows who this Bartman guy is.

And speaking of Dusty, did you see he was still batting Zimmerman behind Harper yesterday after the Cubs walked him what, 13 times in a 4 game series and Zimmerman never did anything to make them pay?

Don't forget not only do the Cubs have Schwarber out, but Heyward and Soler are both floating around the Mendoza line as well. Imagine if either or both of them start getting some hits to fall in!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,621 through 1,635 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply