Talking baseball

• Man, just as I was warming up to Bryce Harper he goes off on an umpire. I was just thinking about him as a great player and noticing how much he has matured of the last year, he was doing so well! Then his pompous arrogant self comes roaring back and goes off on an umpire. MLB suspended him for 1 game, I think the Nats front office should suspend him for 20 games! Teach him a lesson, get him in line!

On the other hand, Sherzer's 20 Ks! Incredible! He had the chance to break the 20 K record and hold it all his own! I love seeing these amazing performances, when a pitcher just becomes unhittable. He wasn't facing a poor hitting team either! Former triple crown winner, V-Mart, Upton, and Castellanos, they have some solid hitters that were just shut down.

Give Harper a solid dose of humility and you'll have a solid team on the field as well as in the dugout.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (5/12/2016)

Sherzer's 20 Ks! Incredible! He had the chance to break the 20 K record and hold it all his own!

Perspective: a baseball game is 27 outs. 20 batters could not put the ball in play. Unbelievable!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Heard people talking about the highlights of the current season yesterday. I think 20ks has to be at the top. Of course, Story's start in CO, HRs in the first few games was pretty cool.

• woweewowow! holy cow!

Rangers/Blue Jays got quite interesting yesterday. After getting plunked, Bautista slides hard into second base to break up a double play. Odor takes offense and punches Bautista in the face! Calamity ensues.

Hard slides, fine. HBP, borderline (hard to determine intent). Sucker-punch uncalled for and should result in a large fine and a long suspension. With the occasional exception, fights are normally pushing and shoving with the one-off tackle. This was full on UFC. Grow up Odor, you've made hard slides in the past too.

Don't need players like him representing the MLB on their Play Ball weekend when parks are full of little leaguers. MLB needs to set the example, quick.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• On second thought. After seeing Bautista's smug look/bat flip after hitting the go-ahead homerun at the end of last year against the Rangers (sometime in september) and his helmet and glasses flying after the overhand right yesterday, I feel less bad now. 😀 Because, karma.

• I think it's ridiculous. Certainly pitchers celebrate at times.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v19125041/prime-9-a-look-at-the-top-celebrations-by-pitchers

If someone hits a home run and wants to do a pirouette and 10 second dance, I'm all for it. You feel embarrassed? Pitch better. Let them celebrate.

Going after someone for celebrating their success or excellence is garbage.

• ^ Agree. Think of the other sports... football players celebrate big plays, ditto for basketball and hockey players. If you hit a HR in a crucial situation and want to watch it into the stands before taking your jog around the bases, so be it. Flip you bat, clap your hands, give thanks to the man upstairs, whatever you want. If it hurts the pitchers feelings than the pitcher shouldn't be in the big leagues. Pitch better, don't give up the dinger.

As Bryce says 'make baseball fun again' (which does not include telling the ump to f-off after getting tossed, as he did last week).

• I'm not crazy about it, but I also acknowledge that the game has changed. I remember Goose Gossage going off about it a few months back. I love and respect Goose, but I don't necessarily agree with him.

His argument is that it's about respect, which I can understand. But celebrating the moment is just that -- celebrating the moment. He's human, just like the rest of us, and he's going to react. Hey, even I've done the occasional fist-pump when I've successfully pulled something off. It's not necessarily about showing up the opposition, it's about living in the moment.

Having said that, I can also understand why the pitcher would want to drill him in his next at-bat.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Not excusing the punch, but I suspect it had to do more with Bautista's dirty and dangerous slide than the celebratory bat toss.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Tim Mitchell (5/16/2016)

Not excusing the punch, but I suspect it had to do more with Bautista's dirty and dangerous slide than the celebratory bat toss.

Personally, when I saw the replay, I didn't think it was a dirty slide. I've seen slides into second that were far more dangerous and dirty than that one.

Not excusing the punch, but I suspect it had to do more with Bautista's dirty and dangerous slide than the celebratory bat toss.

Bautista did what baseball players have been taught for decades: slide hard, break up the double play. He slid over the bag, so he did not go outside of the basepath to take out Odor. It was a good old hard-nosed slide, the way baseball should be played. The current wussification of the sport is ridiculous.

• Grumpy DBA (5/16/2016)

Tim Mitchell (5/16/2016)

Bautista did what baseball players have been taught for decades: slide hard, break up the double play. He slid over the bag, so he did not go outside of the basepath to take out Odor. It was a good old hard-nosed slide, the way baseball should be played. The current wussification of the sport is ridiculous.

We'll have to just disagree on this point. If the game can be made safer by prohibiting the runner from purposefully using his feet as weapons, I'm all for it.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Ray K (5/16/2016)

I'm not crazy about it, but I also acknowledge that the game has changed. I remember Goose Gossage going off about it a few months back. I love and respect Goose, but I don't necessarily agree with him.

His argument is that it's about respect, which I can understand. But celebrating the moment is just that -- celebrating the moment. He's human, just like the rest of us, and he's going to react. Hey, even I've done the occasional fist-pump when I've successfully pulled something off. It's not necessarily about showing up the opposition, it's about living in the moment.

Having said that, I can also understand why the pitcher would want to drill him in his next at-bat.

It's not about respect. If it was, the pitcher would talk to the guy or yell at him. Not injure him because of hurt feelings. That's garbage

Grumpy DBA (5/16/2016)

Tim Mitchell (5/16/2016)

We'll have to just disagree on this point. If the game can be made safer by prohibiting the runner from purposefully using his feet as weapons, I'm all for it.

Tim's certainly a Rangers guy, but I'm turn here. The slide, while in the path and at the bag, was late. That's clearly an intent to break up the play.

I do think this is one area that could go out of the game. Not quite sure how, but this invites injury. Maybe a larger bag and a "slide area" that allows a player to be on the bag, but not a target.

• ^ Next, take checking out of hockey. And tackling out of football.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,636 through 1,650 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply