Talking baseball

• wow, that was crazy! The Yankees are finally entering their 10 year spending spree hangover. Dumping Beltran, Chapman, Miller, Nova, and Campos. Unfortunately they'll be stuck in this "rebuilding" phase for the next 5 years as Arod and Texiera continue to suck New York dry.

... oh well... :laugh:

Atlanta finally got rid of Hector Olivera but ended up with Matt Kemp. San Diego put Olivera straight to the minors, they're not dealing with his performance on or off the field. Good for them.

I was surprised to hear the news about Puig, guess I haven't been following LA too close. The Dodgers apparently wanted to trade him real bad but couldn't. They told Puig that if they couldn't trade him, they would trade for a right fielder and demote him. Well, the Dodgers got Josh Reddick and Puig went all 4-year-old on them. Looks like he'll have to make his $9 million/year in the minors, such an unfortunate thing (/sarcasm :rolleyes:)

The Nats picked up Mark Melancon which puts Paplebon in an awkward spot. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he goes all 4-year-old on the Nationals.

The Red Sox weren't super active at the deadline but picked up a few pitchers over the last month. Hopefully that's all they need to make a good run at another title.

How'd your teams do?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (8/2/2016)

wow, that was crazy! The Yankees are finally entering their 10 year spending spree hangover. Dumping Beltran, Chapman, Miller, Nova, and Campos. Unfortunately they'll be stuck in this "rebuilding" phase for the next 5 years as Arod and Texiera continue to suck New York dry.

... oh well... :laugh:

Atlanta finally got rid of Hector Olivera but ended up with Matt Kemp. San Diego put Olivera straight to the minors, they're not dealing with his performance on or off the field. Good for them.

I was surprised to hear the news about Puig, guess I haven't been following LA too close. The Dodgers apparently wanted to trade him real bad but couldn't. They told Puig that if they couldn't trade him, they would trade for a right fielder and demote him. Well, the Dodgers got Josh Reddick and Puig went all 4-year-old on them. Looks like he'll have to make his $9 million/year in the minors, such an unfortunate thing (/sarcasm :rolleyes:)

The Nats picked up Mark Melancon which puts Paplebon in an awkward spot. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he goes all 4-year-old on the Nationals.

The Red Sox weren't super active at the deadline but picked up a few pitchers over the last month. Hopefully that's all they need to make a good run at another title.

How'd your teams do?

Well, seeing that you just stuck it to my team... 😛

I haven't gotten around to looking into the haul that we got for Chapman, Miller, and Beltran, but I read someone say that we might have vaulted our farm system into one of the best ones out there. From what little I read, we have some great prospect who'll make for a great team if they pan out and stay away from the injury bug.

Teixeira's contract runs out this year, and A-Rod's runs out next year, so that'll be a big chunk of change off the books. Just give us some time to rebuild! We'll be back! 🙂

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• yeah, I read that the Yankees are finally realizing they can't buy their way out of this. Most of their trades have been for prospects, which prompted the 5 year rebuilding comment. Hopefully they can develop these players into solid talent.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• First, Ohlendorf has a magnificent wind-up. Full arm swings, giant step back, toe tap, glove above the head, and then deliver.

The purpose of this video is Votto. He leans into the stands and acts kinda jerkish. He realized he "acted out of character" and apologized for it. This type of interaction between player and fan doesn't happen all the time, but it's nice to see Votto own up to the possible negative perception of what he did.

Good job Votto

• Okay, topic for discussion.

What ballpark has the best food? And what would you recommend?

Discuss!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (8/5/2016)

Okay, topic for discussion.

What ballpark has the best food? And what would you recommend?

Discuss!

I think this is so hit and miss. I've seen the various stands change over time at Coors Field, with lots of new choices outside of the traditional stands. These days, seems like you can find almost anything if you walk around.

The ones I've been to:

SEA

ARI

SD

DEN

NYY (old)

BOS

BAL

CHI (WS)

KC

SF

I think ARI had the most choices when I circled the stadium

• Fun Pool: How many HRs does A-Rod end up with?

At 696, 9 this year, not playing much with NYY.

I'll go in with 717.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/5/2016)

Fun Pool: How many HRs does A-Rod end up with?

I'll go in with 717.

Interesting question.

He's admitted that he probably doesn't have a lot left (I'm paraphrasing here: "if it doesn't work out, I have two beautiful daughters in Miami.") From what I've seen the last couple of years, I think he's a genuinely changed person. Had he been like this for most of his career, people probably would've liked him a lot better.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if he retires with 696 (although it also wouldn't surprise me if he cracks 700).

I'll go with 710.

The ones I've been to:

SEA

ARI

SD

DEN

NYY (old)

BOS

BAL

CHI (WS)

KC

SF

If you ever make it to new Yankee Stadium, they have an entire food court (and a pretty good one) on the lower level down the left field line.

NYY Steak has a really good steak sandwich. Expensive (no surprise -- $15), but it was something I had to try once. Very tasty!

• Ray K (8/5/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/5/2016)

I'll go in with 717.

Interesting question.

He's admitted that he probably doesn't have a lot left (I'm paraphrasing here: "if it doesn't work out, I have two beautiful daughters in Miami.") From what I've seen the last couple of years, I think he's a genuinely changed person. Had he been like this for most of his career, people probably would've liked him a lot better.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if he retires with 696 (although it also wouldn't surprise me if he cracks 700).

I'll go with 710.

Depends how the Yankees do down the stretch. They are 7.5 games behind, if it looks like they have a chance at scraping out a wild card he'll probably play very little and won't hit 700. If they continue to drop and decide to use the last 3rd of the season to showcase and develop talent, he might see a few more at-bats just to give him an opportunity to hit 700.

I'll say 699 😀

I'll go in with 717.

I'm in for 697.

• I'm not sure he gets 700 with the Yankees, but 4 isn't many. I do think he tries to play somewhere else if he doesn't pass 700, so I'm guessing a low year, teens, next year.

Plus, I'm sure he wants to pass Babe if nothing else.

I'll go in with 717.

I'm in for 697.[/quote]

He's got 5 days[/url] to tally as many HRs as possible and crown one of us the gentleman's winner! Any chance he's picked up by another club, even for a year? The article mentions he might end up doing commentary. Please no, please please please no.

At least we won't have another going away retirement season, geez. Those events must stop (yes, including Ortiz's farewell tour).

• There you have it, folks. Ichiro is the man.[/url] For a guy who has very few, how legendary would it have been if his 3,000th would have been a homerun!

• calvo (8/8/2016)

There you have it, folks. Ichiro is the man.[/url] For a guy who has very few, how legendary would it have been if his 3,000th would have been a homerun!

When I first saw the replay, I thought it was out of the park. With his speed, I think it was very appropriate that #3000 was a triple!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,711 through 1,725 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply