Today's Random Word!

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/29/2010)

Surprised.

@BrentO going to SQLSkills.

Confused

* Quest just spent a ton of money on him to help him become a MCM. I'm not sure if it is the case here but many companies don't want to spend money on certs at any level because once they pay for the certs the certified leave for better opportunities.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (6/29/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/29/2010)

Surprised.

Confused

* Quest just spent a ton of money on him to help him become a MCM. I'm not sure if it is the case here but many companies don't want to spend money on certs at any level because once they pay for the certs the certified leave for better opportunities.

Not sure Quest paid for it. I believe Brent Paid the fee himself (mention of that is made in the comments of his blog today).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/29/2010)

Trey Staker (6/29/2010)

Surprised.

Confused

Not sure Quest paid for it. I believe Brent Paid the fee himself (mention of that is made in the comments of his blog today).

Thanks for pointing me to the comments, I hadn't had the chance to read it yet when I commented earlier. According to his comments he signed a contract that he'd pay back what quest paid. It also appears he's leaving on great terms which is important. I wasn't doubting Brent's intentions, he's one of the MVP's I really admire. I was commenting more on how companies sometimes are reluctant to pay for the training/certs because employees leave for better pastures.

Use Full Links:

• I've had companies write this into an agreement for things like PASS for me. I think it's fair. If they are paying for you, they deserve some benefit.

I've had friends that also paid for their own certs for this reason. So they could be free to leave. I've brought this up to companies that I've interviewed with at times, saying they'd have to pay a $2000 or $3000 "fee" to my former company for some training.

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/29/2010)

Surprised.

Wow - tiz the season.

BrentO

SQLChicken

SQLRockstar

Kathi Kellenberger

and a few others all changing jobs.

Is @wayoutwest next?

No, I be going nowhere soon. I have a more binding contract than Brent had, so you'd have some notice if I were leaving.

• Back in 1996 I had a company move me and my family to Florida and required that I sign a contract like that where I'd work for them for a year or pay the moving expenses. I ended stumbling upon a much better opportunity, not only for me but for the company I signed the contract with. The company I went to work for was a customer of the company I signed the contract with. The 2 companies got together and negotiated with me and instead of paying back the moving expenses I ended up working part time for them and on call at their whim for the remaining 6 months of the contract. They also picked up my health benefits. I ended up working about 65-70 hours a week. It's always better to leave without burning bridges if you can. The company that held the contract helped me to find a job 3 years later with another one of their customers who moved me here to Arizona. I also had to sign a contract like that with them but I ended up working there 7 years.

Use Full Links:

• Long Winded (See my previous post lol)

Use Full Links:

• verbose

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• terse

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• loquacious

Mike

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”...Robert McCloskey

• mbricker-600840 (6/29/2010)

loquacious

motormouth

Joe

• Motorhead

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John Rowan (6/30/2010)

Motorhead

OOh don't John you'll get PW all dizzy over his umlauts again :hehe:

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• propeller head

• bedhead

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,086 through 2,100 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply