Triggers

• Hi all,

I am new to sql server, How to write a trigger which stops the DML operation on a table for particular time...

Can anyone help on this......

• I haven't done this before. But you can use the REVOKE command inside your trigger to alter the privileges of a User.

But, I don't think you can do it for some period of time. The privileges would remain revoked until the next grant.

Vinu Vijayan

For better and faster solutions please check..."How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help" - Jeff Moden[/url] 😉

• One way you can disable the trigger by using following sql script

ALTER TABLE Table_Name DISABLE TRIGGER Trigger_Name

Other way programaticlly handle it by checking a condition inside the trigger statement.

• One way you can disable the trigger by using following sql script

ALTER TABLE Table_Name DISABLE TRIGGER Trigger_Name

Other way programaticlly handle it by checking a condition inside the trigger statement.

I don't think the OP wants to disable the trigger. I think he wants to build a trigger which would revoke DML Priviledges of a User for a given period of time.

Vinu Vijayan

For better and faster solutions please check..."How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help" - Jeff Moden[/url] 😉

• I think you can use an INSTEAD OF trigger for this purpose

Never had to use it myself though:-)

Kingston Dhasian

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• maheshkrishnas (5/7/2012)

Hi all,

I am new to sql server, How to write a trigger which stops the DML operation on a table for particular time...

What do you mean by "for particular time"? The following trigger will reject any DML for period from 8:00am to 12:00am for any day:

create trigger dbo.tr_MyTable on dbo.MyTable

after insert,update,delete

as

begin

if datepart(hour,getdate()) between 8 and 11

begin

raiserror ('Cannot change data in MyTable right now, please wait for better time',16,1);

rollback;

end

end

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• maheshkrishnas (5/7/2012)

Hi all,

As suggested above you need to use Insead OF or After trigger. This may help you to understand better:

IF OBJECT_ID('MyTestTable') IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

DROP TABLE MyTestTable

END

GO

CREATE TABLE MyTestTable

(

SomeId INT IDENTITY(1,1),

SomeValue NVARCHAR(100) DEFAULT ('SomeValue_'+ CAST(NEWID() AS NVARCHAR(90))) ,

SomeTime DATETIME DEFAULT (GETDATE())

)

GO

INSERT INTO MyTestTable DEFAULT VALUES

GO 500

GO

CREATE TRIGGER TRG_MyTestTable ON MyTestTable

INSTEAD OF INSERT

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @CurrentTime DATETIME

SET @CurrentTime = GETDATE()

DECLARE @SomeId INT

DECLARE @SomeValue NVARCHAR(100)

DECLARE @SomeTime DATETIME

SELECT @SomeId = SomeId FROM inserted

SELECT @SomeValue = SomeValue FROM inserted

SELECT @SomeTime = SomeTime FROM inserted

IF (DATEPART(HOUR,@CurrentTime) < 9 OR DATEPART(HOUR,@CurrentTime) >= 18)

BEGIN

RAISERROR ('No updates are allowed before or after business hours.',16,1)

ROLLBACK;

END

ELSE

BEGIN

IF (@SomeId <=0)

BEGIN

INSERT INTO MyTestTable(SomeValue,SomeTime) VALUES (@SomeValue,@SomeTime)

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET IDENTITY_INSERT MyTestTable ON

INSERT INTO MyTestTable (SomeId,SomeValue,SomeTime) VALUES (@SomeId,@SomeValue,@SomeTime)

SET IDENTITY_INSERT MyTestTable OFF

END

END

END

Sujeet Singh

• I wouldn't use "Instead Of" trigger for that. The standard one for "after insert,update,delete" will do as fine with much less coding...

• Eugene Elutin (5/10/2012)

I wouldn't use "Instead Of" trigger for that. The standard one for "after insert,update,delete" will do as fine with much less coding...

Depends on the reason for it. If the reason for preventing DML is to avoid long locks when another process is running, an after trigger doesn't help at all.

FYI, the INSTEAD OF trigger above isn't how you should write a trigger as it would not give correct results for multiple row inserts. Inserted and Deleted are tables and need to be treated as such.

• HowardW (5/10/2012)

Depends on the reason for it. If the reason for preventing DML is to avoid long locks when another process is running, an after trigger doesn't help at all.

FYI, the INSTEAD OF trigger above isn't how you should write a trigger as it would not give correct results for multiple row inserts. Inserted and Deleted are tables and need to be treated as such.

Thanks for pointing that out Howard. If you can explain it a bit, I can try to improve it.

Sujeet Singh

• HowardW (5/10/2012)

Eugene Elutin (5/10/2012)

I wouldn't use "Instead Of" trigger for that. The standard one for "after insert,update,delete" will do as fine with much less coding...

1. Agree about case with avoiding locks, in this case only INSTEAD OFF can be really used, as it doesn't need to call rollback to prevent data modifications. AFTER trigger cannot really stop data modifications, it can only rollback them.

2. Right again, it's not a way to write a trigger, it applies to all DML triggers INSTEAD OF and AFTER ones ...

• Divine Flame (5/10/2012)

HowardW (5/10/2012)

Thanks for pointing that out Howard. If you can explain it a bit, I can try to improve it.

No problem. In for example this code here:

DECLARE @SomeId INT

SELECT @SomeId = SomeId FROM INSERTED

If this was trigger from (for e.g.) an insert of 100 rows, inserted is a table with 100 rows, so you're only capturing 1 (arbitrary) row's data.

Instead, it should look something like this:

INSERT INTO MyTestTable(SomeID, SomeValue,SomeTime)

SELECT SomeID, SomeValue, SomeTime FROM INSERTED

So that it correctly deals with all the rows

• HowardW (5/10/2012)

Divine Flame (5/10/2012)

HowardW (5/10/2012)

No problem. In for example this code here:

DECLARE @SomeId INT

SELECT @SomeId = SomeId FROM INSERTED

If this was trigger from (for e.g.) an insert of 100 rows, inserted is a table with 100 rows, so you're only capturing 1 (arbitrary) row's data.

Instead, it should look something like this:

INSERT INTO MyTestTable(SomeID, SomeValue,SomeTime)

SELECT SomeID, SomeValue, SomeTime FROM INSERTED

So that it correctly deals with all the rows

Right, got the point. Thanks Howard.

Sujeet Singh

Depends on the reason for it. If the reason for preventing DML is to avoid long locks when another process is running, an after trigger doesn't help at all...

Actually, how Instead Off trigger can help here? I can see it will only be helpful if you want to ignore DML not prevent it as such.

Until, Instead Of trigger writes everything into temporary storage area for a duration of restriction...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply