Trying to UnPivot without using multiple selects unioned together

• Wow... I wander off and enjoy the PASS Summit and come back to find this !? Why don't one of you guys take this opportunity to write a "Beyond Unpivot" article?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Hey Bob,

I think we pretty much did already 😉

Glad you enjoyed PASS.

Paul

• I'll say you did. The end result is sweet, too.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Hey Paul, I revisited this and noticed that your last post replaced the cross apply of a VALUES clause with a subquery containing a lot of SELECT/UNION all statements. I'm assuming this was for performance reasons, but could you elaborate?

• The Dixie Flatline (9/23/2010)

Hey Paul, I revisited this and noticed that your last post replaced the cross apply of a VALUES clause with a subquery containing a lot of SELECT/UNION all statements. I'm assuming this was for performance reasons, but could you elaborate?

No, there's no difference - I just wanted the final query to be compatible with SQL Server versions prior to 2008.

• Understood. Thanks for taking the time.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply