Urgent !!!.. Rollback from ldf?

• i have a database which is in FULL recovery mode but neither full or log backups are taken( for someone reason we missed this db (: ). Can i rollback transactions from ldf?please let me know

• Not without backups, no. You restore to a point in time, but you can't reverse to it.

Though, that'd be a really cool feature.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• i want to restore point in time? how can i do that? can i just take a fresh full back and then log backup and then point in time?

• You can't restore without a full backup to start with.

• sqldba_icon (4/22/2011)

i want to restore point in time? how can i do that? can i just take a fresh full back and then log backup and then point in time?

If you never took an original backup, you have no starting point for the logs to work from to restore to point in time. Taking one now would mean that you could start from this moment forward being able to do it, if you kept up on your log backups.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• There are log reader tools, they may or may not work in this case (more likely won't if there has never ever been a backup) and the cost around $1000.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Going forward, you can use something like this to identify databases that have not been backed up. Perhaps put it into a job with an email alert

SELECT B.name as Database_Name, ISNULL(STR(ABS(DATEDIFF(day, GetDate(),MAX(backup_finish_date)))), 'NEVER') as DaysSinceLastBackup,

ISNULL(Convert(char(19), MAX(backup_finish_date), 100), 'NEVER') as LastBackupDate,

case

when type='D' then '** FULL **'

when type='I' then 'DIFFERENTIAL'

when type='L' then 'LOG'

end as Backup_Type,

b.recovery_model_desc as 'Recovery Model',

case

when state_desc <> 'ONLINE' then state_desc -- Alert that DB might be ReadOnly, Offline etc...

else ' '

end as 'DB Status'

FROM master.sys.databases B

LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset A ON A.database_name = B.name --AND A.type = 'D'

GROUP BY B.name , a.type, b.recovery_model_desc, state_desc

ORDER BY B.name , LastBackupDate desc,a.type, b.recovery_model_desc, state_desc

• Currently what is the situation?

What files u have?Mdf,ldf..size of files..

Thanks

• I actually think ApexSQL's Log product might be able to unwind or redo transactions given your scenario. Tell them TheSQLGuru sent you.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• thanks everyone.

• TheSQLGuru (4/26/2011)

I actually think ApexSQL's Log product might be able to unwind or redo transactions given your scenario. Tell them TheSQLGuru sent you.

Just to be clear - if that database has never been backed up before, there is nothing that can be done to recover transactions from the log. Until you have a backup - the database will not really be set to full recovery (kind of a psuedo-simple recovery model).

SQL Server knows that without a backup, there is no reason to keep the transactions in the log file so they are marked as reusable just the same as a database in simple recovery. Once you take a backup, the full recovery model functionality starts up and the log records are not marked as reusable until a log backup has been performed.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• as jeffrey sais...

as far as I can remember (think I read this in an article by paul randall sometime ago) a db is in simple mode until a data backup is taken. So, even though you changed the recovery model to 'full', it's still in 'simple' and so transactions are probably already overwritten in the log

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply