Using 32 bit Access ODBC Driver on SQL 64 - Need Insight

• These three links covers all you will need please read all before doing any more development because Microsoft have covered what you need to know about development in 64bits box and how to use the utility. I also found another developer step by step instructions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162810(SQL.90).aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934653

http://bi-polar23.blogspot.com/2008/06/ssis-and-sql-server-agent-choosing.html

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I am unable to access blogspot at work...

I know how to use DTExec and I have ran the 32bit version. I got the same error. Runs fine on the 32 bit machine, not on the 64. I can created the package in BIDS on the 32 bit machine successfully.

When I attempt to create it on the 64, when I attempt to access my source (the access database) it says there are no tables...Making me think it is still not using the 32 bit driver.

• If it can connect to the access database, it is using the 32 bit driver - there is no 64 bit Jet driver.

• See the attachment. Left is 32, right is 64.

• When you right click to add connection choose new and go to the types of connections and choose ODBC not OLE DB because that gives you Access as one of your datasources and your could add

the DSN I posted.

You really need to use ODBC because you can choose the correct driver in the DSN configuration box almost like adding reference in .NET development.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Ok, so I created the DSN, and then created the ODBC connection Manager.

I now need to add the data flow source, but I don't know which to use since you said to not use OLE DB.

Do I use DataReader, Or Raw (obviously not excel or flatfile)

• In my box both ODBC and OLE DB will take you to a point you can add your database file which will let the system know you are using JET. But my advanced setting shows not to use permissions.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• ok, so after reading another forum I created the new connection manager you said.

Steps:

Right click on Connection manager

New ADO.NET Connection

Chose .net Providers, ODBC Data Provider

Tested Connection "OK"

Created a new "Data Reader Source"

In the new "Advanced Editor for DataReader Source" I selected my new connection I created.

Component Type: on SQL Command, typed a simple query

Refreshed: see the screen shot.

---------------------------------------

I am going to keep all of that up there, but not send a screen shot....

I failed to mention the table is a linked table (linked to sharepoint)

So I create another table (Table1) and didn't get the error. Why would I not be able to query the linked table?????

• Just to add.....Why would i be able to query the new table on 64 and 32....but the linked table only on 32.

• Linked table require configurations and security or no security with defining linked server. And you also did not add SharePoint which may not allow Access. So I have resolved SSIS, platform and security so you need to get more help at Sharepoint forum.

When simple task is failing I know the user is not saying all that is needed to resolve the problem.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• What do you mean no security. No security where?

• Go to Server object in SMS you will see the linked server configuration tool in security you have some options.

One of the options is be made without a security context.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• That also doesn't make sense as to why it work on 32 but not 64.

• This isn't a linked server, it is an access database linked to a sharepoint list.

• I think your imported 32bits package is creating confusion so you need to delete everything related to it because in a 64bits box the only JET you get is a x86 which is a 32bits provider.

Then you need to develop it with an ADO.NET provider instead of OLE DB or ODBC because a Sharepoint list is a .NET collection.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply