Using a derived table to exludes ID's in it

• I am trying to exclude ID's that appear in the derived table

SELECT Maxdate.Date,db1.CASEID

FROM db1 RIGHT OUTER JOIN

(SELECT CASE_ID, MAX(DATE) as [MY_DATE],FIELDA,FIELDB FROM dbo.DB2 WHERE FIELDA = 1 AND FIELDB IS NULL GROUP BY CASE_ID,FIELDA,FIELDB) AS MaxDate ON MaxDate.CASE_ID = db1.CASEID

WHERE (db1.DESCRIPTION = N'Open')

How do I do that?

Really stuck on exluding based on Case ID from this table

(SELECT CASE_ID, MAX(DATE) as [MY_DATE],FIELDA,FIELDB FROM dbo.DB2 WHERE FIELDA = 1 AND FIELDB IS NULL GROUP BY CASE_ID,FIELDA,FIELDB)

• Hm. I believe something like this should work:

SELECT CASE_ID, MAX(DATE) as [MY_DATE],FIELDA,FIELDB

INTO #Temp

FROM dbo.DB2 WHERE FIELDA = 1 AND FIELDB IS NULL GROUP BY CASE_ID,FIELDA,FIELDB)

FROM db1

AND CASEID NOT IN (SELECT CASE_ID FROM #Temp)

Basically, you want to put the IDs you want to exclude into some form of storage (either a CTE or a temp table; since you had a SELECT already written here, a temp table is an easy go-to with a SELECT... INTO), then use the NOT IN query clause to exclude the CASE_IDs from the stored SELECT.

- 😀

• So, if I understand your request you want to return all rows from db1 where the CASEID is not in the derived table? If that is true you can simple change you right outer join to a left and add a MaxDate.case_id is null:

FROM db1 left OUTER JOIN

(SELECT CASE_ID, MAX(DATE) as [MY_DATE],FIELDA,FIELDB FROM dbo.DB2 WHERE FIELDA = 1 AND FIELDB IS NULL GROUP BY CASE_ID,FIELDA,FIELDB) AS MaxDate ON MaxDate.CASE_ID = db1.CASEID

and MaxDate.case_id is null

If you really want to look into the different ways to accomplish this and which one might be faster read Gail's article on the subject here:

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/02/18/not-exists-vs-not-in/

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• This looks weird, You want to exclude ids from your derived table but you're using a column from your derived table. You will only get NULLS for the date.

To provide useful responses, you need to give us some sample data and DDL. For information on how to do this, read the article linked in my signature.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply