Using SP_

• sathishkumar.k (2/8/2012)

Great question... Is that mean when any object with SP_ prefix used in combination with if (as in this case) would be searched in the current DB first and then will go for master DB? Even if so, won't the if statement given in the question do a second search in the master DB automatically? I am bit confused... :rolleyes:

Hope this example answers your question

Try this code

USE master

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('sp_mytable') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE sp_mytable;

GO

CREATE TABLE sp_mytable(col1 tinyint)

GO

INSERT INTO sp_mytable(col1) VALUES (1)

INSERT INTO sp_mytable(col1) VALUES (2)

INSERT INTO sp_mytable(col1) VALUES (3)

GO

-- change to one of your user databases

USE QOD

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('sp_mytable') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE sp_mytable;

GO

CREATE TABLE sp_mytable(col1 tinyint)

GO

INSERT INTO sp_mytable(col1) VALUES (10)

INSERT INTO sp_mytable(col1) VALUES (20)

INSERT INTO sp_mytable(col1) VALUES (30)

SELECT * FROM sp_mytable;

--Results:

col1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (2/8/2012)

sathishkumar.k (2/8/2012)

Great question... Is that mean when any object with SP_ prefix used in combination with if (as in this case) would be searched in the current DB first and then will go for master DB? Even if so, won't the if statement given in the question do a second search in the master DB automatically? I am bit confused... :rolleyes:

Try this code.....

Bitbucket's example shows what WOULD happen. But I think the real point is that, as Microsoft recommends, one should NOT name procedures with an "sp_" prefix. I prefer "usp_" myself.

• john.arnott (2/8/2012)

bitbucket-25253 (2/8/2012)

sathishkumar.k (2/8/2012)

Try this code.....

Bitbucket's example shows what WOULD happen. But I think the real point is that, as Microsoft recommends, one should NOT name procedures with an "sp_" prefix. I prefer "usp_" myself.

+ 1 for usp or some other prefix following your specific internal good practices

Ron

• john.arnott (2/8/2012)

I prefer "usp_" myself.

I prefer not using a prefix at all. I never understand why people think anyone would need a prefix such as "usp_" to be reminded that the identifier following "CREATE PROCEDURE" or "EXEC" is a procedure. As if anything else could be there.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (2/8/2012)

john.arnott (2/8/2012)

I prefer "usp_" myself.

I prefer not using a prefix at all. I never understand why people think anyone would need a prefix such as "usp_" to be reminded that the identifier following "CREATE PROCEDURE" or "EXEC" is a procedure. As if anything else could be there.

Yeah. You're absolutely right. I thought about whether to leave that tag on my post, but then figured what the heck, it's the way I do it. It's just an old habit that sometimes makes sense when I'm adding a procedure to a vendor-supplied db. The prefix allows all our added procedures to sort together.

• Tricky & i think it's better than not knowing at all.:cool:

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
  • BudaCli (2/9/2012)

Tricky & i think it's better than not knowing at all.:cool:

I had hoped that the question would make people aware of the "hidden problems/dangers" that can occur when using the sp_ prefix either to name tables, and/or stored procedures. And hopefully the question has done so.

Ron

• Crazy, absolutely crazy!!!

What do we win with this SQL Server behaviour?????????

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply