vanishing databases and servers

• I am a fourth year student and am working on a ASP, IIS 5.0, SQL Server 2000 type project.

My problem is that when my machine was connected to the college network everthing worked fine, unfortunately when i brought the machine home(no network connection) all my databases and server instances have disappeared from enterise manager and it won't let me set up new ones.

Is this because the machine is no longer networked or is it some other problem i am unaware of. The machine was running perfectly before it was moved

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am truely stumped

• That’s correct, you are no longer in the Network.

Shas3

• is it possible to reconfigure SQL server to work disconnected from the network

I am using ASP & IIS 5.0 to generate web pages with data from SQL Server and i want to be able to view them on the same machine as i am developing at home.

• SQL Server will work without a network. It's like standalone server. But you can't connect to it. If your company has a dial up number, you can get in to the Domain and then connect to the server.

Shas3

• no such joy i'm afraid. I'm actually working out of my apartment at the moment and it doesn't have a phone line. is there any way to fool it into thinking its connected

• To my knowledge you must be in the domain and you must have either Terminal client/ Remote desktop/ PC Anywhere installed. Good question to a hacker though

Shas3

• when i was connected to the network i was logging on to the local machine for admin privlages. IIS, Visualinterdev and sql server are all on the same machine and i was able to view generated webpages from a browser by both local machine address and by using localhost.

Localhost is still working for static pages.

I'm really having trouble just understanding why its all disappered.

The database and log files are still there.

• What is your local configuration?

Are you running sql server locally? If so, are you using a full version or just the client tools?

-Dan

• How was authentication set up? Windows Authentication only or Mixed Mode?

If Windows Authentication only, then I'm guessing you have a DOMAIN ACCOUNT with SQL Server and since you are no longer part of the DOMAIN, Windows can not authenticate you.

-SQLBill

• wait, are the Databases on the local box? Are they just not registered in enterprise manager because your off the Domain, logging in with a local account? Is the service starting? Are you in mixed mode?

• wait, are the Databases on the local box? Are they just not registered in enterprise manager because your off the Domain, logging in with a local account? Is the service starting? Are you in mixed mode?

• Are we in a cave????

• jmowery,

Nope not in a cave, but I have seen this occur when you hit Post New Reply and it seems to hang or not accept the post. Then you select it again and the same thing happens.

It really gets accepted the first time, but something occurs and makes it look like it wasn't accepted. What I do is try once, then if it looks like it failed I copy and paste my comment into a notepad and try later.

-SQLBill

• sql server was running locally but now it appears the service is not starting

the databases are on the local box

i don't think i am i mixed mode but i'll have to check

is there any way to make them register with with enterprise manager when logging in with a local account

just like to say thanks for the help, really appreciated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply