what is the difference between database refresh & Restore

• Hi please clarify .

Please explain

what is the difference between database refresh (when we go for refresh)& Restore

Please clarify

• Firstly, can you clarify what you mean by 'database refresh'?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

Recently i have attended one telephonic interview for sqldba

they have asked this question .

Really i am not aware what mean by DB refresh in sqlserver

• And what did a google search turn up?

It's not a term with a rigid definition

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There is no specific to SQL Server function called a "refresh." Most of the time I've seen it used it's referring to a process (created by a business) wherein an environment is updated with a copy of the production system, most of the time through a restore process (and restore is very well defined, you can look it up). That process frequently involves cleaning the data in some fashion prior to giving people access.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• jamessdba (10/22/2014)

Hi please clarify .

Please explain

what is the difference between database refresh (when we go for refresh)& Restore

Please clarify

Database Restore - When a DB Backup is restored onto an Existing Database or New Database. Typically, this would restore all Data and DB objects to that recorded in the backup file.

Database Refresh - This is performed on an Existing Database only and No New Database is created. This would purge all the data from the database keeping the DB objects intact. This is performed on a regular basis in a Testing Environment where dirty data would be purged often to test for various test conditions.

• vincyf1 (10/23/2014)

jamessdba (10/22/2014)

Hi please clarify .

Please explain

Please clarify

Database Restore - When a DB Backup is restored onto an Existing Database or New Database. Typically, this would restore all Data and DB objects to that recorded in the backup file.

Database Refresh - This is performed on an Existing Database only and No New Database is created. This would purge all the data from the database keeping the DB objects intact. This is performed on a regular basis in a Testing Environment where dirty data would be purged often to test for various test conditions.

Just to be clear, that's your personal, and/or your company's, definition of Database Refresh. It's not one I would use, nor is it defined as such by Microsoft or any other standards I'm aware of.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (10/23/2014)

vincyf1 (10/23/2014)

jamessdba (10/22/2014)

Hi please clarify .

Please explain

Please clarify

Just to be clear, that's your personal, and/or your company's, definition of Database Refresh. It's not one I would use, nor is it defined as such by Microsoft or any other standards I'm aware of.

True, this is not documented as a Standard anywhere. It is used as a general parlance in the industry at many of the places I have worked for. Database Refresh will mostly come in to picture where we have the Development, Testing and DBA team working together in a Project\Company. Otherwise, they both would mean the same.

• It's not a SQL Server term. I've had it used by Developers, Testers etc to "refresh" their servers. Essentially, restore the databases from production. But that terminology is not universal and could mean something else in another organisation.

Take an interview as a two way process - They ask you questions, you ask them questions. If you don't understand a question, get them to clarify what they mean by refresh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply