what is the use of : WITH (NOLOCK, READUNCOMMITTED)

• Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

Ah ha

No offence intended GS 😉

But I see you have deleted yours quals list Ninja (if you ever joined that game) - I'm sure you would be perfectly within your rights to claim PDQ

I never entered the signature game but :

RGRUS =>

Remi Gregoire OR

Resident Genius Obiquitus Spook (because of super PDQ powers I seemed to have back them. Now we just know about them. Sorry about all the humility).

I'll see if I can squeeze PDQ in there somewhere. :hehe:

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

It has to be oversized, have you seen his list of qualifications - not sure I understand most of them but I'd like to be a qualified ROFL too 😀

It's an old(er) tactic. We had a rude & bad poster who had a list of qualifications longer than most retired doctors, all in his signature (all of it in the last few months or ± 2 years).

Most people listened to him instead of us because of that. So a few of us made up a list of crap acronyms to get back on top.

Eventually he left after <a LOT> of arguments with him.

GS is the last one to still have those in his signature.

I am just trying to understand, what did you achieve with this?

• Dev (11/17/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

It has to be oversized, have you seen his list of qualifications - not sure I understand most of them but I'd like to be a qualified ROFL too 😀

It's an old(er) tactic. We had a rude & bad poster who had a list of qualifications longer than most retired doctors, all in his signature (all of it in the last few months or ± 2 years).

Most people listened to him instead of us because of that. So a few of us made up a list of crap acronyms to get back on top.

Let's just say the advice that the person presented was not exactly in line with the common thinking of others on here.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• One of the reasons I like this forum because its generally good-natured and troll free. Of course this could be because we're not discussing politics or religion.

From my extensive lurking here, real arguments on this forum only happen when people keep giving bad advice - telling others they are wrong - and claiming to have the best answers - despite continual correction. Combine that with bad manners and I can understand why someone may be 'run out of town'.

• The op was giving extremelly bad advance (edit like my speeling ATM). Dangerous to the point that you could lose a DB and your job if you followed it.

He was doing that to try and promote his useless blog (all copied content from Bol, ms whitepapers & all without credits). Almost nothing self authored, and even that was either useless because extremelly basic (like how to select & order by), or worse completely wrong.

We started by correcting what he was saying, but after 100+ threads and direct contact nothing had changed. That's when the signature game started.

He still assumed he knew everything and had nothing to learn. He was super rude to all who tried to tech edit his posts (like I'm God, you're dirt, IIRC he was worse with women too).

He was the senior DBA at his job even with only ±1 year exp. During that WHOLE YEAR, he had supposedly mastered 5 different OS, 5 versions of SQL Server and 3 of Oracle. And that's just part of what he claimed. Oh and that was both in admin, tuning, dev and BI tasks.

That from a guy that said that shrinking is good, so are dumping the log and deleting the log files. Just to name a few of the dangerous advice.

At some point we where 10-15 all saying he was wrong on EVERY POST he made (only the wrong ones... which was a vast majority). It took a while but he got the message and left.

• Dev (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

Stopped someone from posting complete and utter garbage, misleading people who didn't know better and offering outright dangerous advice to people asking questions.

Forums full of bad advice are worse than useless because the people looking for advice can't tell that the advice is wrong, they go off and implement it, get themselves into all sorts of trouble possibly even causing business problems or losing their job.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sean Lange (11/17/2011)

Dev (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

Let's just say the advice that the person presented was not exactly in line with the common thinking of others on here.

I don’t agree with you on this. If there are 2 guys, they may have 2 thinking patterns & opinions.

At this moment I don’t agree with you. Based on your justification, it looks like they same treatment can be given to me as well (just a thought, nothing personal :-)).

• Dev (11/17/2011)

Sean Lange (11/17/2011)

Dev (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

I don’t agree with you on this. If there are 2 guys, they may have 2 thinking patterns & opinions.

At this moment I don’t agree with you. Based on your justification, it looks like they same treatment can be given to me as well (just a thought, nothing personal :-)).

This was 100 steps beyond not agreeing.

He was defending to death that 1+1 = 19 in base 10, despite all the proof we could offer with calculators.

Not agreeing and different POV + experience is what makes this forum so great.

• Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

My list of quals is a joke. They're all valid, and none of them are really applicable. The main ones that are related to knowing stuff (OEC, FEBC, HDA, ARCSW), are from my ministerial training with my church, and have nothing to do with SQL Server. At least not directly. Some are related to being a living organisms (DNA, RNA, MAP). The rest are just random abbreviations picked to make the string longer.

I didn't put it on there to handle whoever it was Remi mentioned. I put it on there as a joke. Interestingly enough, and entirely predictable, a lot of people started granting my posts much more authority than they did before that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Dev (11/17/2011)

Sean Lange (11/17/2011)

Dev (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

Most people can accept when they've made a mistake or at least accept there is another way of doing things. For example - back to the OP - I've now accpeted there are better alternatives to WITH (NOLOCK), and that WITH (NOLOCK) can be positively dangerous at times.

If this guy was who I think it was (I never actually joined the discussions, just followed a few) - then his way would be the only way of doing things and you would be an [expletive deleted] fool for not using it.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/17/2011)

Dev (11/17/2011)

Sean Lange (11/17/2011)

Dev (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

This was 100 steps beyond not agreeing.

He was defending to death that 1+1 = 19 in base 10, despite all the proof we could offer with calculators.

Not agreeing and different POV + experience is what makes this forum so great.

Agreed. I was taking a somewhat PC approach to discussing the quality of advice spewing from the posts. We all (well maybe not Gail, Jeff, Gus and a couple others) post some things once in awhile that are just flat out not correct or the best approach. That is not an issue. The issue is when you defend your obviously incorrect position. The good thing about this forum is that MOST people on here are willing to listen to somebody else when they tell you your approach is not good.

(and no offense taken at all).

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• GilaMonster (11/17/2011)

Dev (11/17/2011)

Tom Brown (11/17/2011)

Stopped someone from posting complete and utter garbage, misleading people who didn't know better and offering outright dangerous advice to people asking questions.

Forums full of bad advice are worse than useless because the people looking for advice can't tell that the advice is wrong, they go off and implement it, get themselves into all sorts of trouble possibly even causing business problems or losing their job.

It's not about not agreeing.

If you disagree with my not agreeing, then I can add more abbreviations to my signature! So there! :w00t:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Oh trust me, I've had my goof-up posts. Gail and Paul are the ones who catch me on it now and again. Those two are a good safety net.

Property of The Thread

• @GS: In fact I was confused in first read later I figured that out when I saw ROFL, LOL, ETC 😀

• And you can see that even months later, it still strikes a cord with many of us :hehe:.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply