What would keep scheduled jobs from running?

• Steve - it appears that we've found the issue.

I was going through our cluster setup document, ensuring that everything was set up properly.

When I got to the end where we verify certain settings in gpedit.msc, I found a discrepancy. Should not make a difference with what my issue was, but went to fix it anyway. This is when I found that the passive node (Node B) would only see accounts on the local machine - it wouldn't see anything in the Active Directory to be able to select users out of there.

A quick call to the SA, a few hours digging around, and he found some DNS setting that was wrong. Fixing that fixed the above issue. So after getting all gpedit.msc settings set and a quick prayer to the SQL DBA gods, rebooted the node and failed the cluster over to it.

And so far, all scheduled jobs are running.

I'm going to have to talk with the SA about what kind of DNS setting would prevent the machine from seeing the AD in gpedit, but would apparently allow the services (with domain accounts) to log in and run SQL on the server. Heck, I was even doing a remote login on the machine with my high security domain login.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Thanks for the update. If you get the DNS specifics, I'm sure this would be a good thread to update for others.

• It can be that the authorization credentials are cached for the services on failover but jobs scheduled for later don't have the credentials cached.

• Usually when I build a A/P Cluster the install puts SQL Server Agent in its own Resource Group! My guess when you had a failover SQL Server Agent didn't come over. My recommendation would be to put everything in one resource group.

• I too thought at first this was a simple resource group problem. Odd how it turned out to be a DNS issue!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply