XOSoft and SQL Server for High Availability

• Has anyone used or tested XOSoft WANSync HA with a SQL Server instance that is set up in a Log Shipping scenario?  XOSoft's high availability software replicates SQL databases at the byte level and since the master and msdb databases are included, log shipping breaks (makes sense to me).  The product works fine without the Log Shipping part.

I just wondered if anyone else had tried this as well.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I've used CA XOsoft High Availability on MS SQL servers which are also configured with SQL Log shipping with success. It's fairly straightforward.

1) Configure SQL Replication (Log Shipping)

2) Configure your CA XOsoft scenario. Make sure to include the Replication DB from SQL in the CA XOsoft Replication scenario.

3) I'd recommend placing the Distributor on the Production Server (Master) or a seperate SQL server.

4) Configure the Switch Host Name method of redirection.

When you configure the Master server as the Publisher, this role is automatically replicated to the Replica server as is the Distributor role.

If you don't want to use the Switch Host Name method of redirection in the CA XOsoft scenario, then you can configure the Redirection DNS method of redirection instead. This will require some minor modifications to the SQL jobs:

1) Go into the Mainatenance Plans and open the CONNECTIONS section

2) Create a custom Connector. you can name it Local Connection.

3) Configure the Connector to use "." (without the Quotes) which is interpretted as Local System.

4) Configure all the Maintenance Plans to use the new Custom Connector.

5) Now go into the Properties of each Job listed under SQL Agent.

6) Modify the Steps of the job to use Local System.

7) Configure the CA XOsoft HA scenario to use either Redirect DNS or Move IP.

Any of these will allow any jobs, including SQL replication to conitnue running when a CA XOsoft HA swtichover occurs.

Keep in mind that CA XOsoft is handling replication from the Production Server (Master) to the Disaster Recovery Server (Replica). There is no need to use SQL log shipping between these servers. The intention is if you have SQL log shipping configured to run to a 3rd SQL server for reporting purposes. This will allow the replica to continue replicating new changes to the SQL server used for analytical processing purposes after a CA XOsoft switchover.

1)

• Let me know if you need any specific answers, I have been using the product for the last few years.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply