100 % cpu

• Hi All,

in one of my BCP boxes , i often get 100 % CPU utilization ticket, i check all the job's running and set a trace flag also but i not able to find perfect cause, can anyone guide me in finding the actual cause for this, and different ways i can handle thsi, thanks in advance.

• If I guess correctly you are facing this problem after perfroming the BCP. I suggest you rebuild the indexes of respective table after doing BCP.

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• It may or may not be indexes, who knows based on the information at hand. What I'd suggest is taking a look at sys.dm_exec_requests and see if there are processes that are waiting or blocked. If they are waiting on a resource, drill down and determine exactly what's causing the slow down. You can also look at sys.dm_os_wait_stats to get cumulative wait times to determine what things are causing slow downs on the system over all.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Check Whether the Server is experiencing any excessive Comilations and recompilations\sec and also see whether you are getting any CX_PACKET waits which indicates parallelism. Also check for any memory pressures and paging activity which may also result in CPU presure.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• Someone just touched on it...check your max degree of parallelism, and then check how many processes are waiting on CXPACKET. If you have a ton of cxpacket waits, lower your MAXDOP.

• Among other things mentioned in this post this may help: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/performance_monitor_cpu_counter_p1.aspx

Cheers,

Carlton.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply