2 instances one server?

• Can we have sql 7.0 and sql 2k running on the same server? Do we face any problems? What are the things one should take care while doing this?

thanks,

harriet

• Hi harriet,

quote:

Can we have sql 7.0 and sql 2k running on the same server? Do we face any problems? What are the things one should take care while doing this?

sure, you can.

Take a look at BOL for 'SQL Server, instances and earlier versions'. And then 'Running SQL Server 7.0 Along with a Named Instance of SQL Server 2000'

I've done this once for testing. So no experience with a production environment

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Very useful post, this is what I have been trying to sort out. What about the client though ? Do you have to install a named instance of SQL Server 2000 on the client, or will the default installation of SQL Server 2000 be OK to access the SQL Server 7 and 2000 on the server, eg. Enterprise manager, Query analyser etc.

TIA

Stuart

• To access the SQL 7.0 default instance as well as the SQL 2000 named instance you must have the SQL 2000 client tools installed on the client machine. SQL 2000 client utilities allow you to connect to SQL 2000 installations as well as earlier versions (I think as far back as 6.5 but I have not had the need to test with the outdated installations)

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

• We have a production server running a named instance of SQL 2000 and the default instance with SQL 7. The only problem we have ran into is when doing backups through VDI (the Virtual Device Interface -- that most commercial backup programs use) it will fail until you copy certain dll files from the SQL 2k directory into the SQL 7 directory because of some version conflicts. You should be able to find the document out on MSDN. Other than that is has been pretty smooth.

• One thing to note that we ran into. We installed SQL 2000 as a second instance to allow for the migration from SQL 7 to 2000. After all the databases were migrated and we removed SQL 7. We were left with a SQL server that we had to get to by using servername/instancename instead of just being able to use the servername. The only way we could fix this was to install SQL 2000 again on the machine as the default instance and then move the databases to this instance and remove the servername/instancename SQL server from the server. This fixed the problem but this was something I had not thought of when orginally planning the migration.

• quote:

To access the SQL 7.0 default instance as well as the SQL 2000 named instance you must have the SQL 2000 client tools installed on the client machine. SQL 2000 client utilities allow you to connect to SQL 2000 installations as well as earlier versions (I think as far back as 6.5 but I have not had the need to test with the outdated installations)

It is not neccessary to install SQL 2000 client to be able to access both instances. I am able to access both the SQL 7 and SQL 2000 named instance of our servers with a SQL 7 client without problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply