2000 Database Engine on Virtual server

• we're experiencing some "time out" problems btw SQL 2k and an online application, our vendors believe it's because our database engine is installed on a virtual server. i'm at loss in this regard cos i'm quite new to SQL.

Has anybody had similar (or any other problems) associated with the database engine sitting on a virtual server?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• It may be right or wrong.

Right:

If your virtual server does not have enough resource, your jobs may not be processed in time. As a result, you may have timeout issue.

Wrong:

Queries may be poorly written, the setting of the maximum connections is low, ...

You may also come across timeout issue.

• SQL ORACLE (3/18/2008)

It may be right or wrong.

Right:

If your virtual server does not have enough resource, your jobs may not be processed in time. As a result, you may have timeout issue.

the virtual server runs a windows 2003 SP2 OS and has ample disk and memory space, in fact it has memory in excess of the maximum windows 2003 can access.

our system engineers (inhouse) say the system's resources are at the optimum.

i noticed, it's actually processing jobs, but losing some lines of the jobs somewhere in the synchronization process, based on that i suspect it's an application issue, but there doesn't seem to be abple proof and so quite difficult to take the vendors up on it.

All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• Although a virtual machine may have ample resources, each component may not have enough after resource allocation. You need to check it.

OK, let us assume each of your system has enough resource. We need to debug why losing some lines of jobs happened. I assume they happen each time.

You may add some PRINT commands at the points you suspect, and see if you can get expected results.

May the above help.

• SQL ORACLE (3/19/2008)

You may add some PRINT commands at the points you suspect, and see if you can get expected results.

May the above help.

Unfortunately, that is a challenge, cos it's an off the shelf application, managed by the company who developed it. so i don't have access to it's codes.

I will set about checking the resources available to each component after allocation.

i really appreciate your help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply