2005 and Large number of databases

• For anyone with  a larger number of databases (500+): How many do you have in a single instance. If you are using multiple instance on a single server, how many dbs per instance. This is why I'm asking

We are experiencing 701 "out of system memory" and temporary (usually) system freezes when the error occurs. We have 32bit 2005 version 9.00.2153.00, 32GB of memory, AWE enabled, quad dual-core 3GHz hyperthreaded server. Nether the bPool or VAS show any pressure when the "out of system memory error" occurs. Since this error usually indicates a VAS problem we tried increasing VAS to 1GB w/the -g flag. It made no difference. PSS has been working on the case for 3 weeks. They dont seem to be finding any evidince of memory pressure either. When I last spole to the escalation engineer yesterday it seemed that they are going to recommend reducing the number of databases on the server. I asked for clarification as to whether we are hitting a 32 bit barrior, an instance limitation, or both. I am awaiting the answer. How many databases do you have on your server? We had between 1700 and 1900 (the number varies) at times when the error occured. We are now at 1500, and have not had the error in the 2 days since reducing the number of databases...

• It turns out we were running out of memory in the visible region (MemToLeave). In short the amount of space allocated to this region of memory on Win32 is limited (~1.2GB/instance). Having a very large number of active databases (1500 to 2000) consumed the majority of this memory, leaving to little to support larger multi-page allocations that we periodically are encounter (large plan optimization, backup, etc).  The quick fix is to distribute the databases over multiple instance and or servers. The ideal solution is to migrate to 64 bit where this are of memory is limited only by the physical memory limitations of the server.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply