2005 Cluster - Quorom & DTC

• I ran accross a cluster and I noticed that the Quorum and DTC disk is the same disk. Is this an acceptable configuration if one was to put SQL 2005 Cluster on it? I have always created a seperate DTC disk and put in the SQL Resources group in cluster administrator.

Thanks

• I have seen it written that having separate resources for DTC is best, but that it is acceptable to have it with your quorum resources. I am running a 2-node SQL 2005 cluster with DTC on the quorum resource and haven't had any issues. One of our technical architects has installed SQL 2000 on clusters many times and has put DTC on the quorum resource without issues.

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure just how heavily DTC is being used in our environment. Not much I suspect.

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• Have you ever just moved only th SQL resources in cluser admin? When I did this, the DTC service failed to start on the second node.

• I have on our dev environment and things seemed to continue ticking along OK. Haven't had to do it in production (it's been all or nothing failovers, mainly for patching).

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply