2005 instance on 2008 Front end

• Going back to the original question, you say that you think you're running 2005 because a 2008 script failed.

Could it just be that your database thinks it's still 2005, even though SQL/Server isn't?

If you right-click on the database and select Properties, Options, what does it give as the Compatibility level? If this is SQL 2005, that could explain your problem.

• How can no instances be running when you're connected and querying SQL? If you're connecting and running @@version, the service has to be running. Besides, I didn't ask what services were running, I asked what services are present

Eight SQL Server services are running:

Active Directory Helper Services

MSSQLSERVER

SQLEXPRESS

Active Directory Helper

Agent (SQLEXPRESS)

Browser

Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)

VSS Writer

I missed them as they are not listed under Microsoft SQL Server.

Is your computer called LAPTOP?

Yes

So you do have a 2008 instance installed. Use that?

I will, but, quick question: how can I check which edition of 2008 it is and if it is Express as it says?

Regards,

goodguy

Experience is a bad teacher whose exams precede its lessons

• goodguy (11/8/2010)

MSSQLSERVER

SQLEXPRESS

I would guess that the MSSQLSERVER is the 2005 instance and SQLEXPRESS is the 2008 express instance (from earlier results from @@version and comments)

Where it is in the installed programs, I can't tell (and would probably need to look at the machine to tell). Is there anyone who does desktop support or who knows SQL Server at your company?

I will, but, quick question: how can I check which edition of 2008 it is and if it is Express as it says?

Errr... From the results of SELECT @@Version that you posted earlier:

Running SELECT @@VERSION against this instance yields:

"Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (Intel X86) Mar 29 2009 10:27:29 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Express Edition on Windows NT 6.0 <X86> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)".

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I would guess that the MSSQLSERVER is the 2005 instance and SQLEXPRESS is the 2008 express instance (from earlier results from @@version and comments)

Yes, correct on both counts.

Where it is in the installed programs, I can't tell (and would probably need to look at the machine to tell). Is there anyone who does desktop support or who knows SQL Server at your company?

I freelance from home, do not have an employer or colleagues, that is the real pity. But, I can dig deep inside the C:\ Program Files filesystem to check, it is not a problem.

From the results of SELECT @@Version that you posted earlier:

Great, now I have both 2005 Express and 2008 Express on my machine. Thanks.

So, now I can port all my databases to 2008 and then delete the 2005 instance. Would that be the right way to do it?

Regards,

goodguy

• goodguy (11/8/2010)

But, I can dig deep inside the C:\ Program Files filesystem to check, it is not a problem.

For what?

So, now I can port all my databases to 2008 and then delete the 2005 instance. Would that be the right way to do it?

Uninstall from the Add-Remove programs option in control panel. (not the right way, just about the only way)

Search the entire list, it may be called something you're not expecting.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Going back to the original question, you say that you think you're running 2005 because a 2008 script failed.

Could it just be that your database thinks it's still 2005, even though SQL/Server isn't?

Sorry, I couldn't check in time, I just detached all my databases from the 2005 instance.

If you right-click on the database and select Properties, Options, what does it give as the Compatibility level? If this is SQL 2005, that could explain your problem.

Same as above.

Regards,

goodguy

• For what?

I don't know, but because you wondered aloud where it would be installed.

Uninstall from the Add-Remove programs option in control panel. (not the right way, just about the only way)

Search the entire list, it may be called something you're not expecting.

Will do, thanks.

Now, re my other requests for assistance, about coding dynamic strings and automatic installation, any tips?

Regards,

goodguy

• goodguy (11/8/2010)

For what?

I don't know, but because you wondered aloud where it would be installed.

No I did not. I said I don't know where it will appear in the installed programs list. (add-remove programs if you're still on Windows XP)

Now, re my other requests for assistance, about coding dynamic strings and automatic installation, any tips?

Please start a new thread with an appropriate title for that so that other people can also see what you're asking about

Gail Shaw

• Will do right away. Thanks for all the single-handed help.

Regards,

goodguy

• I am truly sorry about resuming this thread which I had hoped was resolved:

Q1. I had about ten small databases to detach from this instance. I managed to detach the first nine OK, but the last one failed with a warning that there were other connections active. I googled that and used sp_who2 to view the other connections (Sleeping and Runnable) and then I used the following command as proposed by another sql site:

ALTER DATABASE 'WILDCATS' SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK_IMMEDIATE

which helped to delete the unwanted connections, but now I am unable to detach or drop the database, even when running with Admin privileges, as I keep getting the error below:

To see if the error applied to this db only, I created a test db called NEWDB, but cannot detach / drop it either.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)

Failed to connect to server LAPTOP. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot open database "WILDCATS" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user 'Laptop\Bilal'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 4060)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=4060&LinkId=20476%5B/quote%5D

What can I do to fix it?

Q2. I went to Vista | Control Panel | Programs and Features | to uninstall the 2005 instance, but all the programs listed under SQL Server there are of the 2008 and 2008 R2 editions. Since I want to play careful and I can't figure which one to use, I have decided to seek advice first. Should I select 'Microsoft SQL Server 2008' (plain vanilla)?

Regards,

goodguy

• New question. New thread please.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply