2008 R2 instance not populating system views (DMV data)

• I inherited the administration of an instance that has no data in any of the system views that support the DMVs. If I query any DMV I get an empty result set; does anyone know how the population of the system views can be disabled?

Thanks,

• are you running as sysadmin?

some of those views may be filtered for security reasons to just what YOU've done, unless your a sysadmin.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Yes, I am sysadmin. I have to admit I've never seen an instance that wasn't populating the system views.

• wow that's sounds extra wierd. can you give an example?

if you query these two views, there's no data?

select * from sys.dm_exec_connections

select * from sys.dm_exec_requests

or is it specific views?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Which DMVs?

DMVs aren't populated from system views, they're views into internal data structures.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't intend to imply that the DMV's are populated from system views when I wrote:

"system views that support the DMVs" instead I was referring to the internal views (data structures) that the instance maintains.

Anyway, there are other issues with this instance that lead me to the conclusion that it's best to perform an Repair operation.

Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply