2008 Upgrade error - Analysis Services (unable to connect)

• Performing upgrade of SQL2005 to SQL2008 on stand-alone server. Upgrade fails and the only error message is "Unable to Connect to Analysis Services with name 'MSOLAP$FAILOVERSITE', please start the service and try the upgrade process."

A Windows service with exactly that name is started and running as and is confirmed both via Windows services view and SQL Config Mgr view.

I took all defaults in the upgrade wizard. The Upgrade Advisor had reported an Advisory on SSAS "A connection cannot be made to redirector. Ensure that 'SQL Browser' service is running." The SQL Browser service is also running.

TIA,

Al

• I got the same error on upgrade. The server is not using analysis services so I removed it and tried rerunning the upgrade.

I got another error "There are no features selected for upgrade" and found this page detailing how to fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955399

The uninstall via command line suggested in the KB didn't work so I uninstalled 2008 R2 features via add/remove programs.

A reboot later, my upgrade is running again.

Did you resolve your problem? Interested to hear if there was a way to fix the original error with analysis services rather than doing the botched uninstall version that I'm attempting.

• My problem remains unresolved.

• Describing the steps that helped me in getting the solution since this is the first site that gets opened up while searching for this type of error 🙂

The summary.txt shows the following errors:

11.2.5548.0 No Yes

SQL Server 2012 UPGRADETO2012.INACTIVE MSSQL11.UPGRADETO2012 Database Engine Services 1033 Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing

It seems that the running the below command to remove the SQL feature might not ran properly resulting in making the Instance inactive

setup /q /action=uninstall /instanceid=UPGRADETO2012 /features=RS,SQLENGINE,FULLTEXT,REPLICATION

Seaching indepth on google took me to a link that describes the solution.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/baliles/archive/2012/04/27/how-to-fix-a-failed-sql-2005-2008-r2-or-2012-install-upgrade-mssqlserver-inactive.aspx

Hope that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply