2008r2 License Costs

• So I got a quote for 2008r2 Standard b/c I want to upgrade and that was the first time I found out about the price increase! I was definitely not happy. Anyway I've been hunting for the lowest price possible b/c the quote I got was IMO overpriced: SQL 2K8r2 Single CPU - $6,378

We are a non-government, regular FOR profit company that doesn't get any of the cool discounts like many other companies do...

So this brought me to this post....

What kind of pricing have many of you received?

Any thoughts, links or recommendations for "cheap" SQL licensing? 🙂

• How big are your databases? I think the express edition (free) will now support up to 10 gig.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• I didn't know the express edition supports 10 GB DBs...that's cool.

I'm not sure of what the free version lacks but I know it doesn't have the stuff I need like mirroring, reporting services etc.... so free is out. Unfortunately. : (

• Hi,

SQL Expression edition is cool tool and comes with free of cost.

Express edition don't have Agent to schedule the jobs and reporting services But we can do a custom replication by creating our own coding.

I have created some sample scripts and scheduled the backups.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019698

Other than that standard is most suitable for small organizations. Please find the attached price tag.

Check in case if your previous purchase program had bought with Software Assurance program then you will get software with minimal cost.

Alternatively you can buy developer edition which costs 50$ but not sure if it is allowed for production purpose. I think we can use for demo purpose.

Regards

Hema

Regards
    Hema.,

• hemakumar_p (6/29/2010)

Hi,

Express edition don't have Agent to schedule the jobs and reporting services But we can do a custom replication by creating our own coding.

Other than that standard is most suitable for small organizations. Please find the attached price tag.

Check in case if your previous purchase program had bought with Software Assurance program then you will get software with minimal cost.

Alternatively you can buy developer edition which costs 50$ but not sure if it is allowed for production purpose. I think we can use for demo purpose.

Regards

Hema

The developers edition can not be used for production purposes. The low cost is to allow organizations and indepentant developers to purchase a low cost high power tool for development and testing purposes. I do believe that demo's are also allowed.

• hemakumar_p,

Thanks for the reply. I need SQL Agent. We run many DTS packages and use RS for batch billing etc... We are a small shop but SQL is a core tool in our business.

Really I'm just unsure if I want to spend an addtional $2300 for the "improvements". You can still purchase SQL 2008 Standard for $4000/CPU.

Here is a link to "What's New in SQL 2008 R2" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500435.aspx

• You can consider having SQL Server 2005 standard edition at this moment. another important thing just upgrading SQL Server 2005 R2 Standard edition is not having much advantages as compared to SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition. Most of the new improvements are included in SQL Server 2008 Enterprise edition.

Regards
    Hema.,

• :w00t: :hehe:

The price is worth the R2 version. There are too many items coming in R2. Did you know that there is already a school of thought comparing Oracle 11g and SQL 2K8 R2? And the gap is less than ever before. The resource governor, the policy manager, etc are great tools to have a coherent and consistent environment, regardless of who comes or who goes, which was sometimes a nightmare when you inherit some SQL environments.

Not good approach, no a bad approach, juts different ways of doing things, with those tools you will be happy to tweak the notch a little for the price.

Express can be used for production, but has so many items out, that makes me remember what my father used to say "Lo barato sale caro" Meaning "the cheapest, gets more expensive at the end"

I handle around 85 SQL Servers for a global company and we decided to ban Express from anything. Yes is free for the vendors and some developers, but if you want a strong, scalable, reliable system go with R2

:w00t: :hehe: :crazy:

• Yes I'm sure 2008 Enterprise has ALL the features but I was making noise about $6,300 per CPU for the Standard edition. I can only imagine what 2008 Enterprise costs.

• AVB

You can always downgrade to the previous versions. However from my knowledge its still going to be the same price whether you chose to downgrade to SQL 2008 or SQL 2005. Microsoft and Resellers always sells the license to the current version of SQL which is whatever price you receive. Its the customer's choice to downgrade to a previous version.

• Ryan,

I've seen on multiple websites 2008 Standard 1 CPU for around 4K. They are advertisng those licenses at the original price. . Here is a link from Google Shopping:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=SQL+Server+2008+CPU&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&show=dd&cid=11337061222269485009&ei=yfksTJ7bMJmewAWLjJgm&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgK#p

Anyone use EvalueSoftware.com ? They had a super aggresive price.

• hemakumar_p (6/29/2010)

Hi,

Regards

Hema

Let me emphasize what is being said here... it's against the law to use the Developer Edition for production and if you are found out, there will be heavy fines and, possibly, some jail time for at least one person. [font="Arial Black"]Do NOT use the Developer Edition for production purposes, ever.[/font]

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Many ppl seem to "forget" that it's really stealling when they don't adhere to the EULAs. Nobody wants to pay more than they have too but those are the laws set forth. It is what it is.

• AVB,

I am not familiar with a Buy-out type license. It looks like something new with microsoft. Most of the site in the google link references a Buy-out type license

• I'm not sure it's stealing, but it is illegal. Right or wrong, there are license terms to use software. You should stick with them to avoid fines. And possibly the loss of your job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply