3 different file to the same DB !

• Hi..

I would like to create only ONE package which loads three totally different files into the same database.  After simply creating "Text Source" and "OLEDB" connections - I was able to add a simple "Transform" task and the first file is done.  Now the problems start.

Upon a "Successful" load of the first file, I want to then move on to the next file.  But, DTS seems confused about what comes next - and so am I.  I want to make sure the loads run serially (File1 then File2 etc.) but it looks to me as if DTS will load all 3 in parallel or in some random order.

Should I create a new OLEDB connection for each file ?

Executing "SQL Tasks" serially is easy - I can specify "On Success" ordering directions for hundreds of these and be sure they execute serially.

Any help is appreciated - B

• What you need is to apply a workflow to this process.  Select the first task to complete then the second (if they are transform tasks, select the target connection of the first task and the source connection of the second task).  Click Workflow menu, then select your option (on completion, on success).  If you don't care whether the first task completes, then select on completion.

Russ

(You can find more information by going to books online, index entries for workflow).

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• Thanks but I'm beyond a basic transform.

Try for yourself - Create one DB connection and then two Transformation tasks going into the same connection.  Se if you can tell which task executes first.

What I've done in the meantime is simply add additional DB connections so I can be sure which transports execute in which order.

Any other help is appreciated.

- B

• If you only have one destination connection shown on the package then you can't order them as you say. I think that you're right to add the additional connections to allow the workflow. 

What you may wish to do (if you haven't already) is when you add the connection choose 'existing connection' rather than defining a new one, you can then drop down the list of connections in use and choose your destination.  This means that if you have to change the connection details you only do this once and the change will effect all occurrences of that connection.  

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply