32-bit instance upgrading to 64-bit

• I have a SQL instance that will be moving to a new 64-bit server. The instance is currently 32-bit SQL2k5, and I would be installing 64-bit SQL2k5 on the new server, not 32-bit. I want to make sure there is nothing to worry about as far as the application that is connecting to the databases.

I seem to recall hearing that the differences between SQL 32-bit and 64-bit were entirely "under the covers" so to speak, and that whether SQL is 32 or 64 is completely invisible to any application connecting to it. Is this correct?

"Got no time for the jibba jabba!"
    -B.A. Baracus

• For an application connecting to it for the database engine, you will typically not see any differences.

If you are using integration services, you may have some additional deployment issues and you have to switch to 64 bit drivers for connections. You also have these same 64 bit driver issues if you are using linked servers.

• Michael Earl (2/26/2009)

If you are using integration services, you may have some additional deployment issues and you have to switch to 64 bit drivers for connections.

Specifically as it relates to installing on a cluster that has mixed 32-bit and 64-bit instances, can anyone elaborate on the above?

Our new standard for the Windows servers is 64-bit, but in the past it was usually, but not always, 32-bit Windows. Therefore, many of our existing instances are 32-bit.

However, as we go through lease replacements on these servers, I would much prefer to install 64-bit SQL instead - but once I go down that road, I'm curious what issues I will run into if I am then forced to install a new 32-bit instance among several 64-bit instances (for the sake of this post, assume that all of the isntances are going to require SSIS). Does anyone have any good experience with that type of scenario?

"Got no time for the jibba jabba!"
    -B.A. Baracus

• One issue that pops up for me are the linked data providers...Make sure that none of your applications use the Micrososoft.jet.oledb.4.0 providers. They do not exsist in a x64bit instance. I have found several vender applications that use these providers and they also have created 32bit extended stored procedures that will not work too.

• If you were still using xp_sendmail.... there is no 64-bit version of that. You get the same funcitonality from dbmail... but the implementation will be different and you will need to make some code changes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply