32 bit vs 64 bit processors

• I dont have much control over this. As far as sql server 2000 goes on a win 2003 box, is there much consideration to be made without money in mind as to which to go with?

• The answer is "It Depends".... 

It really depends on your workload which to go with.  32-bit processors generally have higher "Frequency" (Ghz) currently than 64-bit processors.  If yoou app benefits from small load being delivered quickly, then the 32-bit solution may still be your best choice for NOW.  If you are currently experiencing memory pressure, 64-bit will definitely help in that regard.

64-bit processors will continue to receive the bulk of attention from research and the press.  x64 platforms such as AMD's offerings and the Intel Xeon line with EM64T technology will continue just to get better.  With x64, it is an extension of the x86 (32-bit) instruction set with memory addressibility.  32-bit code may run natively on x64.  You can even install a 32-bit OS on x64 and run it in that mode until you want to go to 64-bit.  This would of course require a re-install of the OS, but it is an option.

The Itanium processors are true 64-bit chips with a new instruction set.  The Itanium family has several more key differences such as much better scalability that I will not exapnd upon here, but they are generally more expensive. 

All of these chips are also benefitting from dual-core technology.  Keep in mind that 2 32-bit chips do not equal a 64-bit chip in terms of capabilities.  It simply means that there are 2 32-bit cores on the chip.  x64 and Itanium have dual-cores as well and are not marketed as 128-bit chips.

Hope this helps!

• sql2000 runs in 32 bit mode on 64 bit o/s ( only itanium can run 64 bit sql2k ) and I've read of some performance problems running sql 32 bit on a 64 bit o/s. ( can't comment as I don't have this mix available )

Best advice stick to 32 bit until sql2005 then go 64 bit.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply