32/64 bit SSIS 2008 question

• If I understood correctly all I’ve read in these forums…

SSIS is 32 bit. So I can develop SSIS packages on a 32-bit SQL2008 test server and install them on a 64-bit SQL2008 production server and run them from a stored proc or Agent job. I’m not talking about Excel providers and such, I'm talking about, for example, a simple import or export of a text file.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks all.

• The SSIS package is independent of the SQL server version..it doesn't matter if the server itself is 32 or 64 bit. You can test a package on a 32 bit server, and then run the same one on a 64bit server with no issues (unless you're involving that poor excuse for a driver, JET/Excel, or a very small number of others that have issues running natively in x64).

• You haven't understood correctly. The SSIS process has a 32-bit version as well as a 64-bit version. However, the packages themselves are bitness independent.

Therefore, as you've concluded, you CAN develop a package on a 32-bit system and execute it on a 64-bit system without problems. (As long as your package doesn't use 32-bit only resources, like Excel, as you've noted.)

Todd McDermid - SQL Server MVP, MCTS (SQL 08 BI), MCSD.Net
    My Blog - Dimension Merge SCD Component for SSIS - SSIS Community Tasks and Components

• And to add on to that, if you do have a x64 environment and run it through SQL Agent, then the dtsexec will be x64 by default and you can force a run in x86 if you need to by either checking the checkbox in the SQL Agent job step (SQL 2008 and above) or by changing the commandline to use the 32 bit dtsexec.

Ben Miller
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, SQL MVP
    @DBAduck - http://dbaduck.com

• i dont remember exactly it was for 2005 or 2008, but if you are having scripting objects, you need to recompile the scripts on x64 machine if its developed on x32...(sorry for my vague memory today)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply