\3GB in boot ini, is it required?

• Hi,

I have 8GB RAM. Our O/S version is windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 and database version is SQL server 2000 SP4.

In order to identify the RAM that is more than 4GB, we require to add '\PAE' in the boot.ini. How about '\3GB'? Whether it's required. If I add '\3GB' in our boot.ini what will be the impact?

Appreciate ur help.

Cheers

• with just the \PAE switch you are only enabling SQL to use memory above the 4GB line. the \3Gb switch enables the use of more than 2GB BELOW the 4GB line, so in your case, yes, turn on \3Gb which will give SQL another 1Gb of memory.

this is true up to 16GB, above that do not use 3GB switch as the OS will need the memory to manage all the extra AWE memory

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• As to consequence - remember that the net effect of enabling /3GB in those relevant cases essentially gives SQL resources usually requested by the OS. This means that you're usually setting the server up to be a "pure SQL Server" server, and one that does almost all of its work "in process".

There are scenarios under which you will HURT performance of the server by doing this, so choose carefully. Be mindful of any other apps running on the server (including some SQL server add-on items like even Reporting services), big "external jobs" like DTS or scripts to import/massage data on its way in to SQL server, and that they will now be competing for VERY restricted OS resources....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply