3GB switch not working

• The /3GB memory switch is not working on one of my servers. I have this switch enabled on two other servers and it works fine. All three servers are running the same version of SQL/Windows and have the same exact boot.ini entry. What am I missing?

Thanks

Dave

• Just curious, but have you verified that the boot.ini files are the same?

• dave b (3/18/2009)

The /3GB memory switch is not working on one of my servers. I have this switch enabled on two other servers and it works fine. All three servers are running the same version of SQL/Windows and have the same exact boot.ini entry. What am I missing?

Thanks

Dave

What does 'not working' actually mean? Are you not seeing SQL Server use all of the memory you expect? If not, how much memory is SQL Server using? What is SQL Server configured to use?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Sorry for the vague description of the issue. The SQL Server in question is using around 1.8GB of memory. The other two SQL Servers that have the /3GB switch enabled and they use almost 2.8GB. The server memory settings are the default values.

• Okay - I have to ask, but have you restarted the server since adding the switch to the boot.ini? Have you put the server under enough load to use additional memory? How much memory is actually available on the server?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I found an unlikely culprit...the Max Worker Threads. They were set to 2048 and as soon as put in the default of 0 and restarted SQL...the memory climbed to the 2.8GB mark. My Page Life Expectancy was hoovering around 50-300...now it's >4000. Problem solved. 🙂

If anyone would like to explain why the Max Worker Threads setting had anything to do with this I would love to hear it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply