4-table join not returning all the data I need

• As it stands, the current stored procedure looks a lot like this:

SELECT C.AnswerText, COUNT(C.AnswerValue) AS 'Count'

FROM dbo.SurveyResults AS R INNER JOIN

dbo.SurveyQuestions AS Q ON R.QuestionID = Q.QuestionID INNER JOIN

dbo.SurveyChoices AS C ON R.AnswerID = C.AnswerID INNER JOIN

dbo.InstallCardCustomerInformation AS I ON R.InstallCardID = I.InstallCardId

WHERE (Q.QuestionID = 6) AND (I.InstallersMemberID = 'D2018672')

GROUP BY C.AnswerText

Basically, this takes a member and a question ID, gets a list of the answers for that question, and returns a count of how many times that answer has been selected for that question relating to that member. The issue is that right now, sometimes nobody has chosen a particular answer to a question. In this case, the answer text isn't even returned. I need every possible answer to be returned, regardless of whether or not it's been chosen. I've been playing around, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions?

And now I'm lost...

• Yes, use OUTER JOINs instead of INNER JOINs where appropriate.

John

• And where would be appropriate? I'm a bit of a T-SQL noob.. my supervisor usually handles most of the complex SQL stuff, and I do all the .NET development work...

And now I'm lost...

• Try this

FROM dbo.SurveyResults AS R

INNER JOIN dbo.SurveyQuestions AS Q

ON R.QuestionID = Q.QuestionID

INNER JOIN dbo.InstallCardCustomerInformation AS I

ON R.InstallCardID = I.InstallCardId

LEFT JOIN dbo.SurveyChoices AS C

ON R.AnswerID = C.AnswerID

WHERE (Q.QuestionID = 6) AND (I.InstallersMemberID = 'D2018672')

GROUP BY C.AnswerText

This query will work based on the assumption that even though there is no answer chosen, there will be a row inserted in SurveyResults with AnswerID as NULL.

• AnswerID will never be null. AnswerID is an index that looks up against SurveyChoices. Maybe I didn't make the layout totally clear... wouldn't be the first time...

Using the parameters I supplied, there are two rows returned, which is correct in the sense that those are the only two answers out of SurveyChoices that are referenced by the AnswerID field. The problem is that there are three entries in SurveyChoices that are tied to QuestionID = 6, and I need that third answer to be returned with a Count of 0. None of the data fields that exist in ANY of the tables will ever be null.

Does that make more sense?

And now I'm lost...

• chrono34 (5/28/2008)

AnswerID will never be null. AnswerID is an index that looks up against SurveyChoices. Maybe I didn't make the layout totally clear... wouldn't be the first time...

Using the parameters I supplied, there are two rows returned, which is correct in the sense that those are the only two answers out of SurveyChoices that are referenced by the AnswerID field. The problem is that there are three entries in SurveyChoices that are tied to QuestionID = 6, and I need that third answer to be returned with a Count of 0. None of the data fields that exist in ANY of the tables will ever be null.

Does that make more sense?

Try this on for size. The answer is in the LEFT OUTER JOIN, the point is to find the right way to set it up. It also involves moving one of the WHERE clauses into your join criteria.

FROM dbo.SurveyResults AS R

INNER JOIN

dbo.SurveyQuestions AS Q

INNER JOIN

dbo.SurveyChoices AS C

ON R.AnswerID = C.AnswerID

LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.InstallCardCustomerInformation AS I

ON R.InstallCardID = I.InstallCardId

AND (I.InstallersMemberID = 'D2018672')

WHERE (Q.QuestionID = 6)

GROUP BY C.AnswerText

Leaving the InstallersMemberID in the WHERE clause would negate changing the join type to LEFT OUTER.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I gave that a try, but now it returns total results that are way off from what I need... And by way off, I mean the results *should* be 'Not Satisfied = 0, Satisfied = 4, Very Satisfied = 3'... what your query returned was 'Not Satisfied = 707, Satisfied = 1842, Very Satisfied = 3940'...

And now I'm lost...

• chrono34 (5/28/2008)

I gave that a try, but now it returns total results that are way off from what I need... And by way off, I mean the results *should* be 'Not Satisfied = 0, Satisfied = 4, Very Satisfied = 3'... what your query returned was 'Not Satisfied = 707, Satisfied = 1842, Very Satisfied = 3940'...

hmm...That means you have a whole truckload of things with no valid link to InstallCardInfo.

One thing that's puzzling - why is there no link between question and answer? That seems to be missing from the join criteria.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• The link is through the Results table... actually, all of it is based on the results table. I'm honestly not even sure what's going on with this anymore...

And now I'm lost...

• chrono34 (5/28/2008)

The link is through the Results table... actually, all of it is based on the results table. I'm honestly not even sure what's going on with this anymore...

I understand that link - there should still be some relationship showing which answers are valid for specific questions. As in - what answers are allowable for question1? which ones are valid for question2?

• Ahh.. SurveyChoices.QuestionID binds to SurveyQuestions.QuestionID.

And now I'm lost...

• All right then - let's try flipping this around a bit:

FROM

dbo.SurveyQuestions AS Q

INNER JOIN

dbo.SurveyChoices AS C

ON q.questionID=c.questionID

LEFT OUTER JOIN

(

select R_in.*

from dbo.SurveyResults AS R_in

inner join dbo.InstallCardCustomerInformation AS I

ON R_in.InstallCardID = I.InstallCardId

WHERE (I.InstallersMemberID = 'D2018672')

) R

AND R.AnswerID = C.AnswerID

WHERE (Q.QuestionID = 6)

GROUP BY C.AnswerText

• I'll admit to having very little clue what's going on there... but it returns a count of 1 for Not Satisfied, where it should be 0...

And now I'm lost...

• bleh. I changed the COUNT to (R.AnswerID) and it worked fine. Thanks a billion, although I still have little idea what it's doing... if you could clear that up for me, I might be able to use similar logic in a different stored proc that's currently having the same problem...

And now I'm lost...

• Yup - messed up the field to count. Too much copying and pasting.

Essentially:

- the first two tables (questions/answers) help establish all of the possible choices. Meaning - the answers and all possible relevant answers to those questions.

- you then match that up to only the survery results that you are interested in counting (the survey results from the specific InstallerMemberID). You use the LEFT OUTER JOIN, since you don't want to start excluding survey answers.

- you then count something on the RIGHT side of the outer join, so that it will tell you how many people chose that possible answer. Count of a column returns a count of all non-null instances of that column, so a group that is null ( R.answerID would be null if that particular question was never picked by anyone for that particular question) would return 0.

Happy it's working for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply