6.5 Issue - HELP....Please...

• I have a MS SQL 6.5 server that I need to setup for a client and restore some data onto it.

Good points:

I have the sql server 6.5 install cd's

I have database backup files for the databases.

Bad points:

No Master database backup files

no idea of the size of the databases i am trying to restore

no idea of the paths or names for the devices, logs etc for the databases?

I have been told that if i simply install 6.5

create a LARGE database and then try to restore the database backup file to this database. Let it fail and then view the error log. That will then show me the correct file names, devices paths etc and I can then create the logs,devices etc correctly and try the restore to the newly created correct database devices and logs.

Questions:

Will this work?

Will it run on an XP Professional machine/Windows 200 pro?

Help would be great from anyone as I am a little out of my depth!!!!

Cheers

Jon.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Installing 6.5 on W2K requires some tweaking. Search MS.com for a kb article on this. As far as the restore, I'm not sure. I know there are issues if you don't have the correct size of the db in master. If there are multiple devices, you may be stuck, but if you really need this, I'd try calling MS. You might be able to find someone to help.

• Jon and Steve,

It is not even funny. I was going to ask the very same question. I do need to know if I can run SQL Server 6.5 and SQL Server 7.0 on Windows 2000 server. I need to move a database from 6.5 server to 7.0, 6.5 database is currently on NT4 wich has to go. App former out-of-business vendor claims it will work with SQL 7 but not with SQL 2000. But I do have to move to Windows 2000 or later. I would like to install 6.5 and 7.0 on 2000 server. Sure I can do 2-machine upgrade with 6.5 on NT4 and 7.0 on Windows 2000, but still, if 7.0 will work on Windows 2000? Otherwise, I have good experience (about 10 servers and databases) upgraded from 6.5 to 7.0 or 2000

As for another problem: I am trying to find out if Restore for 6.5 supports RESTORE HEADERONLY or RESTORE LABELONLY which is the way to get metadata info about the database

Size: get backup size and multiply by 3 to create a database. See if it works.

Jon, Check if the following links will help you.

http://lahvon.rulez.cz/doc/Knihy%20o%20PC/SQL%20books/Teach%20Yourself%20MS%20SQL%20Server%206.5%20in%2021%20days%20v2/Teach%20Yourself%20MS%20SQL%20Server%206.5%20in%2021%20days%20v2/CH08.HTM#Heading18

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6268-5033286.html

http://www.fwn.rug.nl/itbeheer/pcserver/books/mssql/ch14.htm

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• The biggest prob i have guys is that I dont have a master DB that goes with my database backups....

Am I fighting a lost battle if I dont have it?

• I don't know. Why? I did my database upgrades on the test server by installing SQL Server 6.5, Installing Service Pack 5a for SQL 6.5, creating a new database of the appropriate size and then restoring a backup of 6.5 user database, not Master. Then I installed 7.0 and did the upgrade. For some other databases since I already have 6.5 installed, I just created a new database on the existing server, restored the database to be upgraded and then upgraded. I never had to restore Master for the database restore.

On the other hand I tried to restore Master in 6.5 once unrelated to user database restores and oh, well , don't do it. I had to re-install 6.5.

So I don't see how you need to restore Master if you need just to restore a user database.

Yes, Master contains logins. But so does Sysusers in user's database. Yes, logins will be missing. After user's database restore get sysusers content and re-create logins by the script. Let me know if you need ideas for that.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• all i want to do is get the data out of ms sql server from the back up files

also do you know if it will install on win 2k

• Here is a part of the upgrade plane for 6.5 to 2000 that deals with Restore:

Restore SQL Server 6.5 databases

1. Switch to SQL Server 6.5
    2. Start SQL Server service
    3. Make sure that TempDB size is more then 25 MB
    4. Make sure that the disk space available is more then 1.5 times of databases size
    5. Copy and paste backups into the C:\mssql\Backup directory
    6. Create the backup device  MyDevice on  F:\MSSQL\Backup\mydirectory directory (file MyDevice was originally used on the original server as a backup device, this is your backup file)
    7. Create a Database Device for each database (here are sample sizes, put yours)

DB1 – 10 MB

DB2 – 100 MB 

DB3 – 100 MB

8. Create each database in the appropriate device.
    9. Restore DB1, DB2, and DB3 from backup device MyDevice

Rightclick the new database. Select Backup/Restore. Go to the restore tab. Set database name to the created database name. Click ‘From device’. In the next window click ‘Add File’. In the filename window click on the square. Select file from treeview. OK, OK, ‘Restore Now’  Could take 10-15 min. OK, ‘Close’, ‘Close’.

In the database properties check ‘Truncate Log on checkpoint ‘ option if Transaction log is small! To reach properties rightclick the database and click Edit. Choose Options tab.

1. Close Enterprise Manager

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Jon,

As I say, I would like to know myself If we can install 6.5 on Win2K. Why not one of us just try?

After that you may use SQL query or DTS to get data

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Sorry for not checking this thread early!!! (First time when I tried to type and did almost 15 lines, then when I hit the submit button, blank window came in.. Huh!!!!)

I have been supporting SQL Server 6.5 databases for quite some time & recently on Windows 2000 as well. The installation of 6.5 on Windows 2000 is not that scary. One problem is that You need to tweak in for MSDTC to work. I do not use MSDTC so I didn't do much research on this.

• There is a shortway of migrating SQL Server 6.5 from one server to another server. make sure both the servers has same service pack and in same directories. Then stop the services on both boxes. Copy .DAT files (data and log files) from Source to target box. Then start the services.

You would need to use sp_dropserver and sp_addserver for changing the database servername.

You can use this method even if its from NT4 to Windows 2000. as long as its SQL Server 6.5 and same service pack and same directories.

• To mdamera:

Thanks a lot!

I understand I need to copy everything from the Data directory, Master DAT and LOG files included, so I don't neeed to to somehow attach a user database on the destination server. I have similar approach when I need to move or re-install SQL 2000 installation with databases, works well for me for SQL 2000.

A question: do I really need to make MSDTC work when I just want to upgrade the installation from 6.5 to 7.0?

Another question: Since 6.5 and 7.0 use well, older DLLs, did you notice anything at all that does not work well on the server level? I have a reason to ask this question. When I was upgrading one of the applications several years ago from 6.5 to 7.0 we had 2 client packages that included SQL Cilents well, for 6.5 and for 7.0 respectively. I installed / uninstalled old and new packages several times to provide install/ uninstall instructions for users and I noticed the following: My workstation  had SQL Server 7.0 Enterprise Manager that broke every time when I installed SQL 6.5 client and fixed right away after installing 7.0 client. By "broke" I mean it had a lot of funcionality, but I could not open tables to return rows. Bottom line: install in the order it was released.

Posting a reply here: a reason you got a new window is that a timeout expired. I have it every time I am typing a long text or make a break when posting a reply. So I usually copy a reply to Notepad when I finish and if it posts a new window without saving your reply, I just paste it back and re-submit. Use hightliting and CTRL - C for copying, I did not find any Copy context menu when right-clicking in this window

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply