6.5 to 2000 migration problem

• I am attempting to migrate 4 database from a SQL 6.5 server to SQL 2000 on a different machine. I am using the upgrade wizard and it works fine for some test databases that I used. The problem with the "real" databases that I want to migrate is that they total about 100 gig and there is not enough local disk on the target server to handle that. We use network devices to hold our database files so I mapped a drive on the target server to a directory on our NAS device and when I ran the upgrade wizard I changed the properties of the databases so that the files would be created on the mapped drive. This created a problem since the upgrade wizard gave a message that the database could not be placed on a network device and must be on a local drive. I know that I can move the files after the migration but we dont have enough available disk to migrate to local disk with the wizard. I thought about moving one database at a time but the documentation discussed numerous potential problems with this practise.

I am hoping there is a way to "trick" the upgrade wizard into allowing me to migrate the databases to 2000 and put the database files on the NAS device.

p.s. I tried setting the traceflag which works when relocating database files to the NAS device but it did not work with the upgrade wizard.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Bill

• If upgrate wizard doesn't work why don't do you import/export wizard? Last year I've done hundreds of 6.5 upgrade and I didn't have use upgrade wizard because it was not an option. I used DB Artisan tools and when it is done I would run database compare as well as running a script that would count the number of rows for each table and take that number to compare with the new database table number.

mom

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply