64-bit and 32-bit mixed environment

• Hello All,

I am currently in the process of making a proposal for new hardware for our SQL 2005 ERP database. I would like to go to x64 to take advantage of more memory and quad core processors (HP /Intel).

In addition to our OLTP system we also have CRM, SSAS, SSIS, Data warehouse. These are fed from the ERP database and will be staying on 32-bit for the time being.

Does anyone have a like setup? are there any issues / gotchas with the combination?

Basically want to make sure that this configuration is viable and that our current ETL processes will work with pulling data from a 64-bit database and loading it to 32-bit databases.

Any thoughts, concerns, things to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SQL Server 2005 sp2 standard windows 2003 standard sp2

• There's no difference whatsoever between a database that sits on a 32 bit system and a 64 bit system. The only thing that's different is the hardware they sit on and the OS/SQL Server software.

You'll be fine with that setup and won't have problems copying data between the two.

• Not sure how much this will help, but It may help to point you in the right direction...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic463445-146-2.aspx

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• There are only two things I have run into.

SSIS can be a bit challenging if you are running it from a 64 bit server. You just have to remember that you are developing (usually) on a 32 bit workstation and the drivers can act a little differently at times. It is not bad, but it is good to leave some extra time for deployment issues when developing packages.

For the same reasons, linked servers can be touchy.

Other than that, the mixed environments I have worked in have been no different than any other environments (other than the 64 bit machines performing a lot better).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply