64 bit linked server issue

• Good day,

I have a 64 bit 2005 sql server that is going to replace a 32 bit 2000 sql server.  I was going to start getting things like logins transfered, and I found a nifty script that will do that with a linked server.  I created the linked server, and that worked well, I can browse the linked server.  When I ran the query, I get the following error:

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "SERVERNAME" returned message "Unspecified error".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "SERVERNAME" returned message "The stored procedure required to complete this operation could not be found on the server. Please contact your system administrator.".

Msg 7311, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot obtain the schema rowset "DBSCHEMA_TABLES_INFO" for OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "SERVERNAME". The provider supports the interface, but returns a failure code when it is used.

So, I searched on this, and found the following MS article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906954/en-us) and it wants me to run some instcat.sql from the 2005 64 bit server to the 2000 32 bit server.  I am worried about this, because this updates various items on the destination server, which is a production server with linked servers already defined and used.  Will running this script make the existing linked servers fail?  I worry that it will. 

Please advise.

Cory

-- Cory

• I'd also be interested in this as I've run into the same problem in the past and have also been a little hesitant to just recreate most of my system stored procedures.

• I've had the same problem on a couple of servers.

As you already noticed the instcat.sql script will basically recreate almost all objects in the master database. In my case we made a backup of the master database before running the script.

So far we never had any issues afterwards and the linked servers were working.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Since I posted this on Friday, perhaps it got lost - I am still hoping someone has some good input on this?

C

-- Cory

• You run the instcat.sql from/on the 32-bit SQL Server 2000 (from QA on the server - not connected remotely via QA).

I did this on 3 production servers w/o a problem

• Thanks everyone.  I just ran this on my dev servers - we start testing today.  Prod Servers next week - all looks good!

-- Cory

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply