64-BIT troubles with extended stored procedures

• Background- SS2K 64-BIT EDITION (Latest service packs) Datacenter 2003

Running WOW - UNISYS ES7000 6GIG RAM 6X INTEL IA64

I cannot run Extended Stored Procedures from my 64bit server, I get the following error:-

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData (CheckforData()).

Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

General network error. Check your network documentation.

Connection Broken

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE?

Andy.

• I'm afraid so, we're also on Itaniums in our production environment and have similar problems.

The issue here is that the dll's that are being used in the XP are compiled with 32-bit libraries, which don't work with 64-bit architecture.  Generally the only way out is to get whoever did the initial DLL to do a new build with the 64-bit libraries (you'd be suprised at how little willingness there is to do this even though the market is growing quite fast).  We've even offered to be guniea pigs to test things for them to no avail, it seems like people just don't want to do it.

What's worse is that if we'd decided to use X64 chips instead of IA64 then the XPs would have worked because they'd just use 32-bit compatibiliy mode (still, too late to do anything about it now).

What is it you're trying to do, we've come up with loads of workarounds for this type of problem, if it's one we've covered then I don't mind sharing it with you (if not then I can maybe make a suggestion(s) on how to proceed)

• Hi

Thanks for your reply. We have SQL 64BIT SP4 loaded on a clean system and the xp is   master..xp_cmdshell.   

We are running WOW but don't know how to workaround

Andy.

• Nuts, one of the standard ones that come with SQL, I'd hoped it was a 3rd party one instead .

I take it you're using Windows 2003 Enterprise (64-bit) and SQL 2000 Enterprise (64-bit) for the Itaniums?

• sorry, just noticed you're on datacentre.

Will have a look and see if I come up with anything, were on EE so it might be different (can't see why though)

• Thanks. Seeing that it is a totally new rebuilt platform and new istallation with no funnies loaded. Maybe this is a MS bug? Will make a call for MS to attend. BUT ANY SUGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED!!

Andy.

• You haven't installed any other MDAC stuff have you, i know it's a shot in the dark but it would probably let you and may cause similar problems.

In the meantime, I'll have a dig around for you and let you know if I come up with anything, please let us know the resolution if you get there first.

Mike

• Also, can I confirm that you're connecting as a SYSADMIN to SQL to test xp_cmdshell works.

If not, then have you enabled it for non-sa users and set the proxy account and password properly.

I'm sure that you have set it up right but just on the offchance that you haven't it's worth an ask.

It's looking more and more like a MS 'feature' but i'll keep looking for you.

Mike

PS. Can you give me an example of the script you're using that generates the error, I'm guessing it's a simple dir or something but maybe i'm wrong

• Most days am am just stupid but today I am an idiot. My user is a SYSADMIN but after I read your post I simply gave my login access to the master database and.........Yep it works.

Thank you! Mike.

(grumble grumble"COULD THE DATABASE JUST NOT GIVE A PROPER ERROR MESSAGE??)

Andy.

• Mike ,

I now have the 3rd party dll problem. I don't know too much about the 64-bit platform and I need to register a 32-bit dll. There is no regasm.exe on the c:\ drive. Do you know how its done?

TIA

Andy.

• Hi Andy,

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, I got called home for an emergency.

Anyway, I'm glad you got your first problem sorted but unfortunately I don't know about the second one.  I'll see if I come across anything in my notes and please let me know if you resolve it before me, i've got a feeling it's going to be one of those problems I mentioned about 32-bit dll's not working on 64-bit servers I'm afraid, but who knows, you might be lucky.

Mike

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply