64bit SQL 2005 Enterprise and SSIS

• We are moving all our servers to 64bit Enterprise SQL 2005 and 64bit SQL 2000 (where they still exist).

On a couple of servers we have SSIS packages, I have read varying articles on SSIS and 64bit SQL but can anyone give me a definitive answer or any advice on how I should set the servers up.

As far as I can tell you can still run all SSIS packages on the 64bit server as long as you run them using the command line to run dtexec.exe to run them in 32bit but I read somewhere else that there might be problems with drivers for connection strings especiall when connecting to Oracle.

To avoid all risks would I be better having a seperate 32 server just to have legacy 32bit SSIS packages on?

For 2000 64bit (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810927) I'll have to have a seperate server for DTS packages anyway.

Has anyone come accross any articles on how developers deal with maintenance of 32bit SSIS packages on a 64bit server?

Thanks

• BIDS will only run on 32 bit....SSIS itself will run fine on 64 bit. so design your packages on you desktop and delpoy them to the 64 bit server.

I went through a migration to 64 bit SQL Server 2005 and SSIS recently, there were some issues with connecting to excel using the JET drivers as i don't think these are available in 64 bit. Not sure about Oracle though.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• What were the issues with excel?

Did the SSIS packages you had before you had the 64bit environment run OK once you upgraded to 64bit and do you use dtexec to run the 32 bit packages once they are on the 64bit server?

Thank you very much

• The package, written by another person, was connecting to excel using JET. The 64 bit didn't like it. i cahnged the connection to use OLEDB and it worked fine. It all ran in 64 bit.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply