70-448 prep question - SSIS data flow

• You're developing SSIS package that loads data to a SQL Server 2008 database.

You need to make sure that the dataflow updates the existing records in SQL Server database by using data from the rows in your data flow.

Which data flow component should you use?

A. OLE DB Destination

B. SQL Server Destination

C. Data Conversion Transformation

D. OLE DB Command Transformation

please note your reasoning.

• Looks like "D" to me.

The downside of the OLEDB Command is that you'll be processing records a row at a time which can be a bottleneck. "C" makes no sense. With the other two, you could write to a temp table and do a MERGE or UPDATE with an Execute SQL Task, but the question makes it sound like you don't get to add to the solution.

If you're studying for an exam, you really need to get SSIS out in a test environment and put it through its paces so you know what the different tasks & components do.

HTH,

Rob

• The answer is B. SQL Server Destination

the data flow task itself will transfer data from source to destination; you just need to provide the destination connection

=======================================================================================

Visit my technical reference; you might find some of your issues already documented.

• B or D were the two answers I was torn between before posting the question. But which one is it?

• Can't be B as the OP states that it has to update existing records. Unless your SQL destination is going to a temp table and then you do a SQL MERGE to do the update. Of the options that are presented, only the OLE DB Command would let you do an update.

Rob

• Answer is D.

Reason:- it seems that you need to update a existing record in your data base.

A and B are used to insert new record but they never update a existing record.

C is used to convert the data type.

D. OLE DB Command Transformation is a component to update the existing record. you need to create a connection and had to write a appropriate logic as i am not aware of your actual problem. in this transformation you can write update query.

i hope this is going to help you out.

Regards,

Mayank Gauswami

• Passed the exam, saw a similar question but still not sure if I answered it correct or not since I didn't get 1000.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply