70-642 Training Kit Practice question

• This scenario was presented on a practice exam for 70-462. The answer includes restoring two differentials back to back. MSDN documentation says "A differential backup captures only the data that has changed since that full backup." and in my experience I have only ever restored a full, most recent diff, and then logs.

I was hoping someone could help explain the answer to me because I'm obviously missing something.

Thanks 🙂

Kim

Scenario:

The Hovercraft database is configured to use the full recovery model. You have configured the database to use the following backup schedule:

* Full database backup Sunday at 2:00 A.M.

* Differential backups Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 6:00 A.M.

* Transaction log backup every 60 minutes from 6:20 A.M. through to 8:20 P.M.

A failure occurs on Tuesday morning at 7:35 A.M.

Exam Answer:

To recover the Hovercraft database as completely as possible, you must perform the following steps:

Perform tail-log backup.

Restore Sunday 2:00 A.M. Full database backup.

Restore Monday 6:00 A.M. Differential database backup.

Restore Tuesday 6:00 A.M. Differential database backup.

Restore Tuesday 6:20 A.M. Transaction log backup.

Restore Tuesday 7:20 A.M. Transaction log backup.

Restore tail-log backup.

• The answer is wrong. It's been submitted as a "serious technical mistake":

http://oreilly.com/catalog/errataunconfirmed.csp?isbn=0790145345134

• I alerted the author of the book (mr. Wharty) about this error a few weeks ago and he did in fact recognise it as an error. (hence the inclusion in the errata list)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thank you both for your replies! I feel uch better now 🙂 I was starting to question my understanding which is never good headed into an exam!

Kim

• I am using that book too. Can't believe its full of mistakes like this.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply