7x24 support in a Merge replication environment

• Introduction…

We have two DL760’s Compaq databases Servers (01 & 02) each server has 8 processor, 8GB memory and attached to SAN. Six Web servers are connected to these 2 database servers.

The Disk is RAID 5 system (D drive data files) and Raid 5 ( E drives log files).

We have 20 databases for different applications and when the user logs in for various applications we validate the authentication through a common security database that resides in each server.

We do real time merge replication between two database servers for all the 20 databases and we have separated the applications some pointing sql01 and some pointing sql02 (Load balancing).

Here is the problem…

When we run the DB maintenance Optimization Job for User DBs the web servers are getting timeouts for a short period (5-10 minutes and the user cannot login) and this Job is been run every Sunday at 12AM for 2 hours.

We singled out the database and found that during DB1 database reorg we are having this problem. We could not relate the time out and the DB1 database reorg because when you login the databases used are security db.

Besides this Re-org Job we are not running any other Jobs, there is no block process and the CPU is around 35% utilization.

I wanted to know how we can support a true 24x7 support in a replication environment like this with out an Outage..

Please let me know

Thanks

• Look at the locks. During the data reorgs there will b exclusive locks on the table.

• I did the SQL profiler and found out that there are no exclusive locks associated with the database (security).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply