A Good Case For Reference

• Seems like lots more uses for the spatial stuff than I imagined.

I thought of another last night.

What about some type of lottery/contest application that allows people to register/enter/purchase tickets. Think charity here where somehow the timing of the purchase comes into play. Maybe some type of 4th caller gets xx thing. But make it handle multiple time zones, matching up physical time, 10:01 in EST earlier than 7:02 PST, but showing the client the correct times locally. Maybe use Date, time, offsets types to show their usage.

• A nice sample app that we have always been looking for is a code & control table maintenance tool. I am sure we all have tables out there that have to be updated manually by users, at least we do...We have always struggled with what is the best method for accomplishing this. Since we don't have the .net coding skills ourselves & we can't get enough time of our application developers, we end up resorting to spreadsheets or access.

It would be nice to have an app that could be easily copied & modified to point to another code table. Not sure how difficult it would be but to have the ability for some of the fields to have drop down lists that could pull their data from other code header tables. I am not asking for a lot of business rules because that would obviously be very difficult but it might be nice to have some validation against inserting duplicates into the tables or possibly validating field entries against the same code header tables populating the drop down lists. Once we saw the code in the application, we could apply it to other areas depending on the needs for the table.

Maybe there is something out there already like this but we haven't come across it yet.

John

• laker_42, I'm not sure what you mean exactly by a "code table" but if my suspicions are correct, you're essentially talking about a generic master data management application. With the ubiquity of linked tables in Excel or Access and forms generators like IronSpeed, I don't think anybody's built yet-another-data-entry application. The MDM solution codenamed Bulldog in the Office 14 wave (as part of PerformancePoint) will provide data governance features above and beyond just allowing end-users to update data in various tables, so give the preview of it a look.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply