A Live Node

• Unfortunately, despite being illegal, it's still widespread over here.  It's currently just a £30 fine with no penalty points added to your licence, so not much of a deterrent.

However in the new Road Safety Bill it's going up to £60 and 3 penalty points, the same as speeding, (you get disqualified if you get 12 points for anything within 3 years), which most seem to be welcoming.

Personally I can't drive and talk at the same time, handsfree or not.  I used to use a wired handsfree kit when I travelled a lot in my last job, with voice dialling & answering and so on so I didn't even have to look at the phone, and I still found it too distracting.

It'll be the same people though... the ones that just can't get a call a little later.

• Well what about Onstar(TM).. you are not obivously going to be able to tell if someone is talking to someone else, unless they are alone in the car.  Then at one time one would think they are just out of their mind, joan of arcish.  Maybe she had a cellphone.

I do find it annoying others talking on the phone,or atleast they could get in to the slow lane, i rarely talk on the phone while driving, and even then I really do not like doing so.  When one does see so many people, i wonder, what do they all have to talk about?  I'm a pretty chatty guy when the topic interests me, but i guess having the tunes cranked up while zooming along in the 2.7 tiburon is infinitely more enjoyable.

• ...if Joan of Arc "had a cellphone"....look at the sorry fate that befell her...wish we could set her up as an example of what not to do...

At the very least it'd be nice to at least sic Alice's Queen of Hearts on these cell phone users...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I think any conversation in the car is distracting, and detracts from someones ability to drive. Its not just cell phones that are the problem. Its also passengers who can start talking at any time, but can at least see that you're trying to make it to the next exit in heavy traffic. We have some very distracting video billboards in our area. Just thinking about that ugly meeting or bothersome problem at work can be enough of a distraction, but its hard to write a law against that.

Some days I wish I could get a law banning my wife from talking to me while I'm driving.

David Lathrop
    DBA
    WA Dept of Health

• With the dawning of smart highways where computers (I hope it's not M$ based software) control your vehicles lane position and speed leaving you hands free to do whatever, what will the driver then do?

They can already talk on the cell, eat a doughnut or 3 course Macdonald's, drink whatever they like, put on makeup, shave, read the paper, write notes, watch a video, scan the satellite channels or change tracks on the CD and I see some doing all of this at the same time now!

I suppose sleep and sex are almost all that's left unless a toilet is installed.

Oh, I guess people already sleep at the wheel.

• Why David - have you not perfected the art of being model spouse (read: husband) who nods his head mechanically making automated responses of "yes...uh huh...that's right..whatever you say honey"..?!?!?!

• When their voices go up you way YES when the voices go down you say NO. This has got me through 12 years of marriage.

I've had whole conversations with my wife to her total satisfaction without having a clue as to what has been said.

I've only been caught out once and that was when she put the wrong inflection on "Does my bum look big in this?"

• ...If you're ever out of a job you should take to writing..

Hopefully you educated your wife on the inflections and how not to change them in order to throw you off...or you've trained yourself to look out for those red herrings...

• If I'm talking business on my cell phone and driving and get in an accident is my business liable?

Glenn Henson

• I didn't say I wasn't good at the "uh huh, yes dear" game; I'm pretty good at it. I even catch the "so its okay to buy that diamond ring and earring set?" put in just to see if I'm paying any attention at all.

I just sometimes wish I had a good excuse to opt out of it.

David Lathrop
    DBA
    WA Dept of Health

• try subtle hints...crank up the volume on the radio...

just out of curiosity...what's your response to "so it's okay to buy that diamond.."?!?!

• I would so kill to be disconnected for a month or so.  When I started my last job, they gave me a Crackberry "so that you can respond on call."  Little did I know that that would be 24x7, with no backup and no one else to handle production issues.

I hate being tethered.  I get called on my vacation and sick days (fortunately, a call on the latter means that I don't have to log it as a sick day).  I've since told them that I'm not responding on a vacation day ever again, and I plan to go somewhere that there is no electricity and cell service just for the break.

Sometimes being tethered to society just pain grates on you after a while.

• I went away for two weeks last July to the Isle of Mull (one of the Inner Hebrides just off the coast of Scotland).

I stayed in a cottage with no electricity; just Calor gas supplies for gas lights/cooker and a gas fridge.  No cell signal... no phone lines to the cottage... nothing.  Nothing but fields (and sheep!) for miles and miles.  30 minutes drive to the nearest civilisation.

Absolute bliss!

• Oh what an apt name for a vacation spot...I visited the isle of skye once (many moons ago) and it was just as remote and blissfull...nothing quite like getting far far away from the madding crowd...

• Oh those poor sheep….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply