A New Beginning

• Well, work-wise, my main goal in 2010 would be to "stay employed"....Project-wise, I'll be working on SSIS and a lot of .NET upgrades from VB 6.0 ( really old stuff that has gone from nice to have to critical over the years.)

More networking, providing better service to the local agencies that I interface with, learning more of the VM world and consolidating hardware servers down onto VM. Great fun! Happy Holidays to all!

• Ralph Schoch-262868 (12/31/2009)

In this order SSAS, SSRS, SSIS.

But how does one do this well without actually having a business requirement to fulfill?

By dreaming one up. Go to data.gov and download some data, then clean it up and build an app around that, create reporting and analysis around what you find there that will make it easy to dig through. (by the way, I think there might be a competition around just that)

Or contact a local charity and volunteer to do a project with them using your newfound skills.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Performance Tuning and SSIS.

• I want to refine the process, standards and lifecycle for largescale SSIS development. It's rarely done right and was the most difficult part of recent projects I've worked on.

Second would be effective virtualization.

LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/carlosbossy
    Blog - http://www.carlosbossy.com
    Follow me - @carlosbossy

• BI Stuff- More specific improve in the ability to make cube data available to user on internet. Would like to allow user to have unrestricted view of cube and be able to change data on x and y axis at will as you can in the design world and on excel pivot table.:-)

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Get the MCTS BI Dev/Maintenance 2008 out of the way before it kills me (why I cannot wrap my head around SSAS I have NO idea). Then I can get on the MCITP DBA 2008 and get that done.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• SSIS, SSRS, Improve Perf Tuning (perpetual goal), more active in PASS, and Blog

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This year I learned a lot about SSRS Reporting and began studying for the 70-433 exam.

My goals for 2010 are:

1: Pass the 70-433 2008 Database Developer Exam.

2: Enhance my skills in SSIS.

3: Begin learning to work with Sharepoint.

• With a New Beginning for 2010, I would like to work more with SSIS and Reporting Services.

• Microsoft Certification.

• Hi everyone,

My SQL Server goals to 2010 are:

1) get MCITP SQL Server 2008 DBA and DEV (yeaahhh, both...lol)

2) write SQL Server articles for an international website, SSC here we go...lol

3) improve my knowledge in SQL Server internals

4) improve my knowledge in SSRS

So, it's all folks...

Happy New Year

---------------------
    Alex Rosa
    http://www.keep-learning.com/blog

• Heh... I am loath to learn either SSIS or SSRS but it looks like I may have to finally bite the bullet there. I refuse to make it a resolution, though. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• my goals for 2010 would be SSIS, PLINQ and F#

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• D.Oc,

We have an F# review coming out this week of a book. Looks interesting.

Jeff,

C'mon, make it a resolution. Be good for you to stretch into SSIS, might even come up with some ways to make it work better 🙂

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/2/2010)

D.Oc,

We have an F# review coming out this week of a book. Looks interesting.

Jeff,

C'mon, make it a resolution. Be good for you to stretch into SSIS, might even come up with some ways to make it work better 🙂

Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, Steve.

Actually, I do have a resolution, albeit a day or two late. No... it's not a promise to myself to get to PASS 2010 although I'd like that more than anything. I've already broken that promise twice because of unplanned job changes in an uncertain economy and I'll not make a promise that I may not be able to keep, thanks to others.

I've been "talking" with one of the proprieters of a web site that claims to be trying help people understand the idea of "set based" programming. I put "set based" in quotes because this particular site runs coding contests where the rules explicitly state that only single query code is acceptable. That's not what set based programming is and single query code is contrary to the rules of both set based programming and the effeciencies of "Divide'n'Conquer" methods in most cases. I'm particularly ticked about the whole thing because some people I had very high respect for are actively supporting and perpetuating the myth through that site. Some of them even embrace recursive CTE's as "set based" code. Ugh! :sick:

With that in mind, my resolution is to redouble my efforts in showing people (through code, of course), especially newbies, what set based programming actually is (maybe including SSIS and SSRS, as well and if there's time). That means articles on the subject, finishing what Tony Davis calls "the RBAR book" (and, possibly adding anew chapter called "What Set Based is and is NOT" to include a section called "The Set Based Manifesto"), and maybe making a few trips to speak.

Heh... that may or may not include a trip into the worlds of SSIS/SSRS but I'll start to take a look at them because if folks are doing that bad in T-SQL, I can only imagine what they're doing in SSIS/SSRS. 😉

And, I guess I'm going to have to write several new interview questions so I don't get any serious graduates of the "single query club". 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply