A Real World Security Reminder

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Real World Security Reminder

• Thanks to AirTags and similar tracking technology, thieves have to be more careful about swiping stuff left lying around in the open. I've thought about taking an old phone or laptop, wiping it clean, and then "accidentally" leaving it behind on a food court table just to see where it ends up.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Thanks to AirTags and similar tracking technology, thieves have to be more careful about swiping stuff left lying around in the open. I've thought about taking an old phone or laptop, wiping it clean, and then "accidentally" leaving it behind on a food court table just to see where it ends up.

I hope law enforcement uses some of this tech to sting thieves.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

Thanks to AirTags and similar tracking technology, thieves have to be more careful about swiping stuff left lying around in the open. I've thought about taking an old phone or laptop, wiping it clean, and then "accidentally" leaving it behind on a food court table just to see where it ends up.

I hope law enforcement uses some of this tech to sting thieves.

I don't see why not, because the technology is cheap, especially if the locators uses mesh networks instead of expensive cellular networks. An AirTag is $25 and leverages existing bluetooth and open wifi connections. Other options are passive RFID tags (the same thing used by retail stores) only smaller and then the police can have hundreds of $300 RFID readers positioned at inner city and highway intersections scanning for IDs of stolen items. Combine that with a $100 camera, and you've got the crook's car photo fleeing the scene of the crime.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• AS far as SQL Server is concerned, I am reminded I just engaged on a forum question about certificates. This of course to help to encrypt the data in your backups andother  'at rest' data.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply