A regression of the art of database development

• David Portas (5/19/2010)

Phillip - Texas (5/19/2010)

With this Cruise Control, is there a way to set rules to prevent code check-in if it doesn't pass the tests?

Not sure if CC can do that. I don't think so. Gated check-in is supported by Microsoft TFS 2010 apparently, but I haven't tried it yet. It's also a feature of TeamCity[/url] where it's called "Pre-tested Commit".

We have a check-in branch just for CC, so that code doesn't get kicked past that point if the build or tests fail. We also run notificiation program on all dev boxes, so it's painfully clear who broke the build when you do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Very sympathetic with Dan Humphries' experiences. It always surprises me that an industry that tries to appear informal and radical can occasionally become bureaucratic to the point of satire. I've seen similar things happen. The approach to testing I prefer is to ensure that it remains the developers responsibility to produce reasonably robust code. Where they fail as a team, then this sort of stultification of productivity inevitably results.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply