A Story of the Deleted Transaction Log

• Hemantjemmy (8/11/2009)

good story.

One more lesson to be learned from above story to add the Maintenance Job of Truncating Transactional log files regularly so that you dont run out of space.

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Back them up, yes. Truncate them, no.

Please read through this - Managing Transaction Logs[/url]

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am still surprised on how people emit opinions after (hopefully) having read this thread and stating again obviously wrong comments.....

• Hi,

I think I have missed two word in above comment which created confusion.

What i meant was truncate & shrink transactional log file only after taking full backup.If your database is in Full Recovery Mode, it is good to truncate & shrink transaction log file regularly after full backup.

• Hi,

What i meant was truncate & shrink transactional log file only after taking full backup.If your database is in Full Recovery Mode, it is good to truncate & shrink transaction log file regularly after full backup.

• Hi,

• I tried to re-produce the scenario and ended up failing 🙁

When DbLive.mdf is renamed to DbBad.mdf, the database name in the Mgmt Studio does not change??? As a result, I was not able to create another fake DbLive database. Please advice.

Regards,

Bharathi

• WOW!

Really interesting;)

Nice job man;)

Best Regards,
    Ashkan

• Bharathi-902714 (10/18/2009)

I tried to re-produce the scenario and ended up failing 🙁

When DbLive.mdf is renamed to DbBad.mdf, the database name in the Mgmt Studio does not change??? As a result, I was not able to create another fake DbLive database. Please advice.

Regards,

Bharathi

Ther is a differnce between logocal file names nd physical file names. They do not have to be the sames. In fact most of the time they are not. The physical file name typically has an extention (.ndf, .ldf) but the locical name does not.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Hemantjemmy (8/11/2009)

Hi,

I know this an old thread bought back to life but as it was surpriseingly not picked up on before....

This is still a bad idea, a very bad idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 113 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply