A Technique for Determining the I/O Hog in your Database

• The article certainly gives a slant on object usage, however I'd suggest a sql statement vs reads, writes, cpu, duration is of much greater value

How do you measure this part...aswell..that be useful to

• My approach was to use the Scans: Stopped event class to capture the scans. It includes the number of pages read in each scan. I use that number multiplied by the number of scans to calculate the data flow.

• Awesome article - just have to see if I can truly put it to practical use.

• Really pedagogical - easy to follow flow of article/method, and very nice with a proposed solution!

• Can someone please tell me how the raw data from the (SQL Profiler) gets into the table IndexCapture?

Thank you,

Anil.

• The two Screen Shots are not getting displayed under "Analyze the Results" section. Is anyone else facing the same problem?

• From the author, many years too late, but still worth commenting on: Yes, indeed sharp readers, the aggregate clause in "Summarize the Data" shoud be "count(*)" and not "sum(*)"! I still do not know how I let that slip through! Many thanks to you for catching that and passing along. To all, I've enjoyed your comments and I especially appreciate those who have taken this a step beyond (or many more steps). That is precisely what I had hoped to accomplish with this article: to give folks a starting point that they could utilize in their own work. Now that we have SQL Server 2005, the included system views take care of a lot of this, but it is still useful for anyone who is still running SQL Server 2000.

• Mike Morin-219647 (7/23/2009)

From the author, many years too late, but still worth commenting on: Yes, indeed sharp readers, the aggregate clause in "Summarize the Data" shoud be "count(*)" and not "sum(*)"! I still do not know how I let that slip through! Many thanks to you for catching that and passing along. To all, I've enjoyed your comments and I especially appreciate those who have taken this a step beyond (or many more steps). That is precisely what I had hoped to accomplish with this article: to give folks a starting point that they could utilize in their own work. Now that we have SQL Server 2005, the included system views take care of a lot of this, but it is still useful for anyone who is still running SQL Server 2000.

+1 .... beside that very nice article

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply